New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 based wildcats.......
 Login/Join

<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
I like wildcats based on the 30-30. Cases are cheap and plentiful, they work well in single shot rifles and pistols, and they have great utility.
Here is a picture of the 30-30 based wildcats I load for.
 -

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've loaded for the 357 herret, and also the 6.5 Grassl Rimmed, which was the 7mm intl rimmed necked down, or a 38 deg shouldered 6.5 on the thutty thutty case.

I also have a set of 30 herret dies, and a mound of 30/30 brass, but never got around to getting a barrel, one of these days.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
The 30 Herrett barrels can be found at real reasonable prices and the old 6 groove (10")barrels are said to be accurate more often than not. I don't have a pistol barrel in 30 Herrett anymore, though the one I did have killed a lot of WV whitetail, and it was plenty accurate. The one I have now is a 20" Bullberry carbine Contender barrel. I don't really know how the 30 Herrett got out of vogue. It's a real harvester. I like it with the 110gr. round nose soft point for deer.
T.D.

<JBelk>
posted
Winchester was really stupid to come up with the .225 when they already had a reputation for messing around with the 219 Imp Zipper and the Swift.....The Improved Zipper should have been a factory cartridge since the Hornet and more popular than the 22-250 which is, practically, a rimless version of it.

An old friend of me and Ray's was Tony Barnes who did most of the development and proto work on the Herrett line of cartridges for Steve Herrett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As well as the 357 Herrett, I also load for the 7mm Int-R, another 30-30 based wildcat. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I have a .219 Improved Zipper is because I wanted the rifle. It's an old flat top Winchester High Wall by the late Floyd Butler. It has a 26" Buhmiller barrel thats about .8" at the muzzle. This rifle has been my most reliable varmint rifle for about 40 years now. I don't shoot it that much but the last time at the range all three shots went in the same hole. This rifle is always sighted in and has a Lyman Supertargetspot scope.

I don't get the point that the round is inexpensive. My load has been the 50 gr Sierra SPT and IMR 4064 with CCI BR2 primers. This makes about 3600 fps. I try to get close with this rifle and not miss. I don't shoot much over 300 yards anyway.

My chamber seems to have a 28 degree shoulder. The rifles extractor could use .225 Winchester rims but the necks are thicker on that case. I might turn some down someday, then I may not. Better to just hunt with it. That's what it is for. This rifle has a lot of style if you have never seen a Butler stock.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I also load for the 7mm intl. rimmed and the 357 Herrett. Good calibers and 30-30 brass is just soooo easy to come by. I recently added a 30-30 barrel to my contender stable just cause' it didn't feel right not having such a classic round for my T/C. From mice to moose any thing is covered with a Contender and the proper barrel. I also have made and used 30-30 brass to make 38-55 and 375 Win ammo for my lever actions. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
30-30 Ackley Improved , 7-30 Waters Improved , 357 Herret , 30 Herret and 375 Winchester (come on guys , same case ....) these are my personal favourites in a Contender.I use only 375 Win. cases for my high power loads, they may be more expensive , but last much longer and keep their shape better !

<reloaderman>
posted
You all forgot the 35/30-30, just a basic 30-30 case expanded to shoot .357 bullets! It's a great cast bullet case! [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tera
I information retrieval of the following bases How I can form them is of which casing I can use

Could you give me dimensions Length of neck Diamètre of the shoulder Length casing to form it Length to the shoulder

219 Zipper
219 Donaldson Zipper
25 Classic
6 mm Bullberry Improved
7 mm International
6.5 Grassl Rimmed

merci baucoup

one of us
posted Hide Post
6mm 30-30 AI which is nearly identical to your 6mm BB Imp.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mm 30-30 AI looks like this.........

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=366276&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tera

a skb2706

merci beaucoup

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of EABCO's 6.5mm BRM's on a Ruger #3. A 30/30 case necked to 6.5mm, shoulder moved forward and angle increased. It's basically a 219 Wasp opened to 6.5mm.
Can someone tell me how I can make my own cases from 30/30 brass? Would special forming dies be needed? The cases are pretty expensive from EABCO and I have lots of 30/30 empties. Thanks...Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon

I don't know exactly what the 6.5mm BRM is, but if it is basically a 6.5 Wasp as you said, run a case into your FL die, shorten it as necessary and fire-form it. The rim controls the headspace.

And by the way, in the post opening this thread - 3 of the 7 cartridges shown are NOT 30-30 Wildcats. The 219 Zipper is a factory cartridge and the Impr Zipper and Wasp are both wildcats based on the Zipper case.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cheechako...I've tried that. The case neck goes into the die about 1/16" and (even going very slowly) then shoves the whole neck down into the case body. I've tried anneleing the cases and using Imperial Sizing wax with no success. It seems like the jump from .308 to .264 is just too much to be done in one step.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Try using your seating die as a forming die. I read about this trick in a thread about taking 284s down to 25/284. I make 25/35 brass from 30/30 brass that way. First size it in the seater die, then the full lenght sizing die. Works for me. Pete

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pedro...
I kinda got it to work using a 7mm WSM seating die. The shoulder looks pretty bad but should fireform. We'll see. Thanks for the tip.
Jon

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
When I had a 6.5 GR in my contender, I also found out you couldn't simply run a 30-30 case into the FL die, as it would crumple. The guy I got the barrel from had a neck sizer that would size the cases to 7mm and then you'd flip it over and run them through the 6.5mm side.

I'd also caution that once fired 30-30 cases, even if anealed, may end up splitting on you.

You may be better off forming brass from 7-30 waters cases, should be a simple fl size and fireform.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Jon, you need something with more body taper and a more gentle sholder.
For my 309 JDJ, I run 444 marlin cases into a 308 sizer, then fireform and use the 309 dies after that.
Maybe you could get some 260 rem dies to form cases with? Or 6.5x55. You might have to cut them down to get your sholder in the right area?
Or the 7-30 waters first, then the 6.5x55 dies?
Midway has LEE RGB 6.5x55 dies for $11.49. You wouldn't be out much if they didn't work.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the tips. I'll keep trying until I get a decent case to fireform.

Another question though...
I've been buying brass for the 6.5mm BRM (bench rest magnum) from EABCO @ $47.00 per 100. They are made from Rem. 30/30 cases per the headstamp. These new cases have NOT been fireformed but are the correct dimension and are ready to load. How do they do it? Hydraulic pressure or something? The shoulders of these new cases are very slightly wrinkled but otherwise appear new.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any experience using the old 30 American brass?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote