Find
Notify
Tools

243 WSSM to 257?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Please excuse me if this has already been heavily discussed. If so, please point me to the right thread.

Does anyone here have plans to neck up te 243WSSM up to 257 when it finally comes out? Should be a sweet little cartridge.

Any predictions on the ballistics of a 257WSSM? Maybe we won't have to wildcat it. I hope it becomes a factory offering with factory rifles. Seems like a natural next step to me.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo FreakPower:
Any predictions on the ballistics of a 257WSSM? Maybe we won't have to wildcat it. I hope it becomes a factory offering with factory rifles. Seems like a natural next step to me.

Rounds like the 25 Souper, 257 DGR, and 257 Roberts (with handloads) are treading on the heels of the 25-06. The case capacity of the 257 WSSM should turn out to be greater than the Souper and DGR, and about the same as the Roberts. With the slight increase in efficiency of the short-fat case, the 257 WSSM in a 24" barrel should be very close to matching the 25-06 in a 26" barrel. Lose a couple of inches from the WSSM barrel for a handier rifle, and you should still see Souper/DGR/Roberts level performance.

I agree that the 257 WSSM would make for a sweet little rifle, and that it is a natural next step for a factory round.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote