New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 AI, 12 Years In The Making
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Many years ago (12) I bought a Charles Daly “Mini Mauser” action in the white with the intention of someday making something with it. When I received the action I was disappointed in the bolt handle as it looked like it should be on a toy or child’s 22. I mentioned that the bolt handle was like a ball bearing on a stick on a forum and a retired gunsmith was nice enough to give me a new bolt handle!! As time went by, I made up or had made up several single shot falling block auction rifles (my passion) in wildcat calibers for my Predator hunting affliction thus never needed to use the “Mini”.

Then, July 2019 and ALL hunting bullets in my state had to be non-lead, well all of my 22 caliber rifles were 12, 14 & 16 twists and not suitable for the longer, for weight, non-lead bullets! I started looking around for a 9 or faster twist barrel and was lucky enough to find a new “take-off” Bergara 1 in 9, 22-250 caliber barrel and a new-never-used surplus Interarms Mini Mauser factory stock. I asked around looking for a gunsmith to do the work, I was referred to Tom at dpcd. Being a wildcat lover from way back I sourced a 223AI reamer then I contacted Tom and sent my parts off to be put together.

Tom did a wonderful job, he put the bolt handle on and made it look perfect, he squared up the face of the action, machined the barrel, chambered and fit it to my action I could not be happier!! I will be rust bluing the barreled action myself as time permits.

I loaded up some fire forming rounds and took it to the range, after sighting in the scope I shot some five shot groups, at 100 yards, the largest of which was 9/16” EDGE to EDGE!!! With fire forming rounds!!! I cannot wait to see what it will do with formed brass!!! Tom put together one super shooting rifle for me, THANKs Tom!

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice bolt job. I recently sold my mini MK X to a member here but still have another threaded bbl for that action in a 204 if anyone is interested. BTW, you listen to some good music as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey NormanC,

I sent you a PM, check it out.

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote