Find
Notify
Tools

405 Grenadier in a Siamese Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
After what seems like a hundred years, I've finally got something happening on this project.....I purchased a Siamese Mauser action from Jack Millar back in the 80's with the intention of building a 45-70 ( doesn't everyone ? )after a few years a good friend of mine, gunsmith Larry Sims, fitted an old Lee Enfield 303B barrel to it , cut a 7.62x54R chamber with a Clymer reamer I bought and bedded it into a Portuguese Vergueiro stock I modified to fit. For quite a few years this old beater became my main pig gun, belting out 200 grainers from steel cased Russian sporting ammo until one of the steel cases ruptured and destoyed the extractor ( actually I destroyed the extractor trying to get it open )......jump ahead twenty odd years and with the help of fellow forum member, thebackforty, an extractor is located and we're back in the game.
After reading about Grenadiers wildcat cartridge on this forum, I contacted him, discussed the cartridge and decided I needed one. A Pac-Nor .412 No.4 profile 24" barrel was ordered, six months later it arrived here in Australia and thanks to Grenadier's generosity, his reamer was mailed to me and the barrel was cut and fitted.
I shortened the original stock, gouged out the barrel channel and fitted the barrelled action back into the stock.My intention is to use this temporary setup to do load development and testing.....also to see how much it kicks with full house 400gr loads and decide what style of stock I will build for it.I'm tossing up between a full safari style stock ( if it kicks ) or a lighter G&H style ( I really like the look of Phil Shoemakers Adolph Minar 30-06 )......anyway, so now it begins....again, my greatest thanks to Grenadier and thebackforty.

The pic below is a now and then.....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cool ..and i love big bore hiding in field dress!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
A couple of details....the barrelled action with stock and 4x Pecar and mount ( as you see it in above pic ) weighs 9lb 4oz, the barrel and bare action alone(no bolt, ejector or trigger ) weighs 4lb 1oz. I will be doing load development for 300gr and 400gr round nose soft point Woodleighs, plus some 215gr hard cast Keith style flat points.
I will talk to Grenadier about starting loads, but any suggestions would be greatly accepted

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, is "gouging out the barrel channel" a Tasmania stock makers term? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Yes, its one of those technical terms, I won't go in to it now, too time consuming! Big Grin.....there's quite a bit of difference between an old "smellie" barrel (SMLE) and a No. 4 Pac-Nor.

At the moment I have 80 or so once fired 7.62x54R Winchester brass, some of which I will fire form for test loads ( the rest are for my MN ), I am waiting on a delivery of new Sako 9.3x53R brass. My thinking is that there should be less stress on the case going from .36 to .41 calibre than there is going from .30 to .41.

Roger