THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Ratio: Bullet Diameter to Case Base Diameter on Rimless Beltless Ammo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ratio: Bullet Diameter to Case Base Diameter on Rimless Beltless Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
PLEASE VOTE - Just based on my reading, for dangerous game ammo, to get a good usable shoulder to head space off, I am thinking that if one is useing a rimless, beltless piece of brass, (say .416 Rigby or 30-06 or what ever) .105 or at the barest minimum .100 needs to be the difference between the bullet diameter and the base measurement of the case. Like on 30-06 brass @.470 base diameter we max out @.366 diameter bullet, on .416 Rigby brass with base of.588 we max out at a .488 bullet. Especially with dangerous game ammo, is this an appropriate "line in the sand" or TOO CONSERVATIVE or NOT CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH? Give your own number if you feel so inclined.

Choices:
APPROPRIATE GUIDE LINE
TOO CONSERVATIVE
NOT CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack

It's hard to vote because how you intend to use the cartridge is the biggest factor to consider. For dangerous game or for that once-in-a-lifetime gazillion dollar hunt I would say "Not Conservative Enough". At the other extreme, say, target shooting, a cartridge that headspaces solely on the thickness of brass at the case mouth (45 ACP for example) is Too Conservative. In between those two examples there could be hundreds of other choices. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote