Find
Notify
Tools

22 creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
It's a simple neck down of the 6mm creedmoor case.
The case capacity is very similar to 22-250 Ackley improved.
The best thing about it, you get 22-250 Ackley performance with no fire forming of brass.
The rifle is set up with a K&P 1-7 twist 26" length.
I'm running a 75gr eld-m over 42gr of H4350 priming with the federal 215.
My RCBS graph shows 3490 fps. Best group so far is .250 for 3 at 100yds.
I'm using whidden dies.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looks like you got a good thing going. One of your actions? Why did you chose the 22 over 6? I thought the 25 CM would be great. Correct me if I am wrong, but it should clean up a 250-3000 aka 250 savage chamber. Just ream out a 250 Savage with a 6CM reamer, trim slightly or put in a 25 neck reamer another 10 thou and you know the rest of the story. I looked it up and it seems a few people have made a 25CMs already albeit a few different names. I like the idea because there are so many rifles that could use some new life and are cheap. Imagine a Savage 99 in 25CM!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The only reason I went to the 22 Creedmoor is it just makes good sense. If you're after 22-250 improved capacity and are full up with case forming.
The 22 creedmoor is the correct answer. Neck it, load it, shoot it. I think Hornady has correctly headstamped brass available.
I have not looked at what chambers it will clean up, I'm guessing it will clean a .250.
Why not a 6 creed? No reason just didn't, do have the reamer for it, built a 1/2 dozen 6 creeds. A good one.
Action: Defiance deviant, crf, AI 10 round, Manners Folder, KP, Mac bros 2.0 can. Night force shv 6-20.
Jewell.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Pics of cart and gun? wave

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I'll work on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timely post, I just built a 26" barreled 22 creed on a 1-8tw medium sporter weight barrel...have yet to shoot it yet but have high hopes for a long distance coyote killer. And Hornady has factory dies available now, that's what I went with and I'm necking down factory Peterson 6 creed brass.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom

It should clean up a 250 chamber but the problem is 22-250 bbls have a 1:14" twist, the 22 CM (like the 6 and 6.5) ate designed around long high bc bullets with fast twists (that'll still fit in a 308 mag without modification).

Now if one was wanting to BUILD a fast twist gun, the 22CM is a better choice than the 22-250/AI. More capacity than the first, no fireforming vs the latter. When you're talking about guns that might be looking at 1000 round counts before things start getting a little burnt, why use half those shots for fireforming? Go CM!

Debating one myself

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I’m just looking for a flat shooting rifle of opportunity...often in the winter I see a coyote from 350-550 yards away. Needed (OK wanted) something for those opportunities.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy is "running" (he's actually shooting it but I felt the need to talk like the tacticool kids) the 22-243 improved. While it's a good round for sure, I'd certainly have a 22 Creedmoor for the same purpose (LR coyotes).
Yessir, I think that's exactly what I'll build next after I get my new 20 Practical shooting a tad better.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
My buddy is "running" (he's actually shooting it but I felt the need to talk like the tacticool kids) the 22-243 improved. While it's a good round for sure, I'd certainly have a 22 Creedmoor for the same purpose (LR coyotes).
Yessir, I think that's exactly what I'll build next after I get my new 20 Practical shooting a tad better.

Zeke

Huh, interesting...I'm currently building a 20 Grendel...

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:

Huh, interesting...I'm currently building a 20 Grendel...

That should be pretty dang cool, Matt!

(It might have seemed like my new Practical isn't shooting well, which it actually is, but I like to play enough to find the best, most repeatable, load)

Zeke

posted Hide Post
I have been using the 22 Creedmoor for predators for the last 5 or so years. Horizon Firearms is putting a new barrel on it now as the throat looked so bad and speeds had fallen quite a bit. Got a lot of fun out of that barrel though.

Posts: 3 | Location: waco,tx | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any guess as to how many rounds that was? Also what bullet and powder worked for you?

Matt