New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is an 8MM Norma Magnum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a reference to this chambering, but cannot for the life of me figure out what it is, and Google is no help. Is this the 308 Norma Mag necked up to 8MM, or is it something else?

Thanks, guys.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another off the wall wildcat. AKA 8mm/308 Norma Mag. Parent case is 8mm Rem. Donnelly lists it in his conversion manual.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
From AMMOGUIDE

"""Based on the .308 Norma Magnum neck-expanded to accept 8mm/.323" bullets, this wildcat invites comparison with the .338 Winchester Magnum. It approaches the ballistics of the 8mm Remington Magnum."""

----------

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8mm Norma mag???? The 308 Norma mag was necked up to 8mm cal and it was called the 323 Hollis. This was very similar to the 8mm-338 Win. Both are short mag cartridges that work through std length actions. There is a new cartridge out there called the 300 Norma mag.It is a large rimless case similar to the 338 Lapua . The 8mm Norma is likely the 300 Norma mag necked up to 8mm. The 8mm Rem came out years after the 323 Hollis and 8mm/338. The 8mm Rem is a H&H length cartridge and has little in common with any of the other mentioned cartridges.

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what Ammoguide has for it, I haven't looked it up but this is the drawing I have for it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
8mm Norma mag???? The 308 Norma mag was necked up to 8mm cal and it was called the 323 Hollis. This was very similar to the 8mm-338 Win. Both are short mag cartridges that work through std length actions. There is a new cartridge out there called the 300 Norma mag.It is a large rimless case similar to the 338 Lapua . The 8mm Norma is likely the 300 Norma mag necked up to 8mm. The 8mm Rem came out years after the 323 Hollis and 8mm/338. The 8mm Rem is a H&H length cartridge and has little in common with any of the other mentioned cartridges.

The 300NM is a shortened 416Rigby case, blown out I believe.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rule 303:
quote:

Nope. Standard H&H Belted case. I have one.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This had to be the 308 NM necked up. The rifle was put together by Flaig's, and that long pre-dated the 300 Norma. That chambering is only a few years old, as I recall.

Regardless, it is a moot point. The rifle was up for auction and was advertised as an 8MM Norma Mag. When I questioned the auction owner, he told me the rifle was misrepresented: that it was in fact a 308 Norma. As I already have one, I am no longer interested.

Thanks for the education, guys. I learned something, and if I ever decide to build an 8MM wildcat, the 323 Hollis sounds like it has real promise!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless,

save time and $$$. Just take a look at the 8x68S.

I'm having one built.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
There's an article in one of my 1960's Gun Digest's on the 8 mm Ernst Magnum which was formed from .338 win mag brass. Flick me a pm with your email address and I'll send it to you over next week or so.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
quote:

Here is the original cartridge description release from Norma for all four cartridge; two belted and two non-belted. Please observe that the .300 Norma Magnum is NON-Belted.

Regards.

Posts: 52 | Location: The Great Southwest | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
quote:

That would be the 308Norma Mag not the 300Norma Mag I think you will find. Check the head stamp.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8mm NOrma was kvales first cartridge , it is also known as PMM Poor Mans Magnum.

He took the .300 H&H case, shortened it , rebated the rim to use it in a standard 8x57 bolt, and then all to do next was ream chamber, and alter the feeding for the bigger cartridge.

Norma for a while made ammo for it . He almost set the .338 Win mag specs years earlier with it

http://www.cartridgecollector....61-kvale-magnum-8x61

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PerH:
8mm NOrma was kvales first cartridge , it is also known as PMM Poor Mans Magnum.

[/url]

The PMM is actually the wildcat 8mm/338 "WM". It was dubbed as the "poor mans Magnum" because of the affordability to have a cheap, milsurp Mauser re-chambered with a 338 WM reamer as opposed to the cost of a new factory Magnum rifle. Forming brass is as simple as running 338 brass through a sizer die. Some old reloading manuals have reloading data for it. Technically not the same round as the Norma, but for all intents and purposes they are nearly identical.

Posts: 10114 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a 308 NOrma with the neck expanded to 323 or a 358 norma with the neck sized down to .323 with no other changes, and is basically a 8mm/338 Win from a ballistic standpoint, as the case is near identical. End of story..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is a wildcat off the 300 and 338 Norma Mag cases, the 8mm Long Range Hunter (8mm LRH)
a necked down and improved 338 Norma Mag case, 35 Degree shoulder, it has 112 gr case h20 capacity, max case length is 2.500", zero intrusion of bullet into powder space and cartridge oal much shorter than the RUM or Lapua cases and fits in 3.850" detachable mags [/IMG]

Posts: 3 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by proman1:
There is a wildcat off the 300 and 338 Norma Mag cases, the 8mm Long Range Hunter (8mm LRH)
a necked down and improved 338 Norma Mag case, 35 Degree shoulder, it has 112 gr case h20 capacity, max case length is 2.500", zero intrusion of bullet into powder space and cartridge oal much shorter than the RUM or Lapua cases and fits in 3.850" detachable mags [/IMG]

[/IMG]

Posts: 3 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote