Find
Notify
Tools

22/243 or 22/6mm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
Hi guys, Anybody with experience with these two rounds that can point me in the right direction.

I'm hoping to pick up a Rem 22-250 and rechamber to one of these rounds. Any reason to go one way or the other? I could also rebarrel to one of these. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22-250 barrels have a 1-14 twist that recent developments seems to be making obsolete.

The 223 WSSM is due out soon. It may satisfy all of your wants'

I would not build on a Remington.

www.shortmags.org

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-243 Middlestead. It is a 243 case improved and necked down to 22. A 1-14 twist will work for lighter bullets (up to 55 gr). If you want to use the heavier bullets (60-70gr) you will need a 1-9 or 1-8 twist barrel. You can reasonably expect 4000 fps with 55 gr bullets. I have no problems with building a varmint rifle on a Rem action, as a matter of fact they seem to be the accuracy choice of most 'smiths. An aftermarket 3 position safety and trigger pretty much solve any problems there are with Remingtons, and the parts available for them aren't equalled by any other action. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Snapper,

We have both of these two wildcats, and prefer the 22-243 Improved.

Have a look at our data for both of these.

Just for you information, I am in the process of updating our load data for the 22-243 Improved. With a bit of luck, I might start tomorrow.

On the subject of Remington 700 actions. I have been following all the discussions regarding their safety, and certainly do not doubt the words of my friends who have been kind enough to bring this matter to our attention.

I have built many rifles on Remington 700 actions, and in my own experience, and those who have used our rifles, we have never had any incident of an accidental discharge.

I have also used a Remington 700 action for a wildcat 270 Ackley, which I have used on several African safaris. Again, I never had any problems with it.

In Africa, we load our rifles as soon as we leave the truck, and put the safety on. The rifles stays loaded all the time, and the loaded round is only removed when we get back to the truck, or stop for a rest.

I have shot over 250 big game animals with this rifle. It is one of my favorites.

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
Savage99--
Exactly what is the reason for not building on a Remington action???

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise. May have to look at the 22-243 Improved.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-6mm and 22-6mm AI both on rem 700 actions. With a 1:7 twist they will both shoot 80 berger VLD's in the .2's. AT 500 yrds the AI outperforms the 22-6mm but just barely. They are excellent cartridges.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snapper
I have a 22-284 i use at extended ranges on predators. it is by far the flattest shooting cartridge i have ever tested. The current barrel is a 30" - 14" twist Hart LV. It has approx 700 rounds through it and still shoots in the 2"s. I shoot the 65 gr Berger at 4170. The 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, which is actually longer than the 65 gr Berger flatbase, is moving at nearly 4400. I expect to get 1000-1200 accurate (2's-3's) rounds through it before i rebarrel it again. With the 8" twist the 80 gr Berger is OUTSTANDING in this cartridge. I have tested it side by side with the 6mmWSM using the Berger 95 gr VLD. Out to 1000 yds,their trajectories are quite similar. The 224 dia 80 gr berger does seem to hold up to the higher speeds better however. Just thought i'd lay this on ya just in case rebarreling or maximum barrel life is not a major concern to you. Perhaps the .22 VIAS might also be an option for you as well as the other very fine cartridges previously posted earlier.

Posts: 49 | Location: UT | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use either the 22/6mm, 22/6mmAI, or the .224 Clark (which I use) which is the 22/257 Roberts Imp with 30 degree shoulder.

The 22/6mmAI and the 224 Clark are ballistically very similar, as both are based on 7x57mm case. In my rifle the capacity of the 22/257 Roberts before fireforming to the Clark,was about 58.3 grains, and after fireforming was about 64.0 grains.

In 1962 Ken Clark believed that the .257 Roberts case was stronger than the 6mm, and for that reason developed his cartridge on that case.

Although I have not used a 22/6mmAI, the velocities achieved by many users are almost identical to what I achieved in my .224 Clark, so the decision on whether to use the 6mm or .257 Roberts case is really a matter of personal preference.

I believe that in .224 calibre, cases with a capacity of 55 grains and above are best suited when used with bullets of about 65 grains and above.

Cases such as the 22/6mmAI, 224 Clark, and 22/284 are ballistically almost identical and best suited with bullets of 75 -90 grains. The length of 75 - 90 grain bullets is 1.050 + inches, and here the neck length of the 6mm and 257 Roberts cases (.351in) compared to the .243 case (.240) is certainly an advantage, as it allows you to chase the lands for longer period as the throat erodes.

For the record in my .224 Clark from a 25.5 inch Shilen SS barrel, I recorded 4,000 fps with the 60 grain Nosler SPBT, 3,900+ fps with the 69 grain Sierra HPBT, 3,800+ fps with the 75 grain Hornady Amax, and 3,700+fps with the 80 grain Sierra HPBT.

In the .22/284, using a 33 inch Ackley barrel, I got 4,300 fps with 53 grain Sierra HP, and 4,050 fps from 60 grain Hornady HP. The case capacity of the 22/284 (neck shortened .020), which I used in 1972 had a case capacity of about 64.0 grains.

Good luck, and I hope that the above is of some help. Regards, Brian

Posts: 54 | Location: Oaklands Park. South .A.ustralia | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaine, what kind of performance are you getting on predators from those bullets at extended range?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROBGUNBUILDER, I am going to build a 224 TTH (22-6mm)With a 1 in 8 twist barrel. I will most likely be using a Savage rifle, and Sharpshooter supply components. Barrel, trigger and stock. Any suggestions for me. What action length would be best? Where do I get reloading dies for this cartridge and reloading information. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Fetchmax, I'd use an action that is correct for the 7X57mm Mauser round for this cartridge..... (.22/6mm REM. that is.)

[ 04-07-2003, 19:19: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Fletchmax- First, I'd set up the savage like a M700 with a .250 holland recoil lug and the barrel shank threaded into the receiver like a M700. I would get rid of the Savage barrel locking ring set-up myself. The action length would be the same as a 308 win. The dies for a 22-6mm are available from RCBS or perhaps sinclair can provide hand dies. The 22-6mm is a very nice cartridge with a 1:7-1:8 twist barrel. Personally, I'd consider a three groove 1:7 or 1:8 from Pac-Nor, you'll get a little more velocity with no drama!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SS COYOTE
Sorry about the delay in responding to your question. I use my 22-284 mostly for nite hunting, due to its super flat trajectory which is a big advantantage at nite with respect to difficulty in range estimating. Usually beyond 350 yds pelt damage is acceptable. I shoot 65gr Bergers and 55gr Nos Ballistic Tips. With a 1.25" high impact at 100 yds, the 65gr Berger Zero's at 300 yds. The 55 gr NBT is even slightly flatter than that, But, is not quite as accurate.

Posts: 49 | Location: UT | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote