Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting -06 chambers in 303 Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gents just heard about a wildcat conversion that really adds a lot of variety to humble .303 rifles. Now I'm sure this has been done and tried years ago......

I've been told if you cut the chamber about 1/3 inch short with a any of the -06 derivatives, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelan. The dimensions are perfect for slightly improved 303 case designs in the above calibres

Dies are a sinch as well, just buy the standard 270, 30-06, 35 Whelan, whatever .... dies and get the base of the dies cut back about 1/3 an inch as well.

So all you should need to do is just neck the old 303 case up or down and fireform.

The advantage is no special reamer, no custom dies and standard 303 brass. You also have the advantage of 10 shot magazines (back to 9 with the improved case)

Have any of you guys out there done this ?

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Interesting. As we say here in the states " There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You Ozzies are really hung up on those ancient .303s. Big Grin I'm curious, why ? Gotta wonder if you have lots still kicking around and if there is little other choice. Still see the odd one around here, but they are rare enough, in the field, to be a novelty.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just checked the data I had for the 303 case. You would need to cut off closer to .6" to match the dia of the 303 case just in front of the head. You might get by with only cutting off .3" but using a plot of an 06 case the dia .46" until about .6" down the case. (assuming my 06 plot is correct)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You should be able to use the X x 57 case and do the same thing and end up with a COAL just about right to fit the SMLE magazine...and just use standard x57 bushing dies to get the neck size you want. You wouldn't give up much velocity as compared to the larger '06 case.

I checked around but couldn't find any reference to a "35x57" etc but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done something like it for the SMLE, plus there is 338 and 35 cal 303's.

It might be easier just to pick out one of the "alreadybendone" like the xJDJ's which would be a shoo-in for the SMLE receiver and still get some very nice ballistics. Any kind of conversions would entail a new barrel anyway, and you wouldn't have the chamber dimensions getting in the way.

I did look at several cases when I was doing my 458 American SMLE but I was locked on the larger cal and didn't look too hard.

In actuality it is nothing but a straight forward rebarrel/rechamber, wildcat or standard...you pick the case and caliber that will function reliably, reload to the pressure of the SMLE and go shooting.

The way the SMLE boltface is set up it will accommodate many different cases with only minor mods(if any) to the extractor...the magazine is easy to make feed function reliably for most cases that will work. I mentioned several times my 458 Am will feed and shoot 45-70,90 and 458 Am and 458 WM cases, mixed interchangeabley from the magazine, but I have to load the 45-70's on top because of that huge rim and the trouble it causes...turn it down to 0.575" OD and it works a bit better, but the belted mag feeds slick as greased owl s....

I think the main problem is the Mauser and clones took over the world and we forgot about all the SMLE's out there that were available in some parts of the world for cheap conversions...that and the draconian laws in some countries.

For your part of the world and for most conversions, sticking with the 303 case necked up to whatever cal you happen to like has more benefits than not, and just sticking with the standard or EPPS 303 makes the most sense as far a economy is concerned.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what S&F is talking about. The case on far right is the 35Maximuss ... cases are 303Brit, 303-35 and the 35Maximuss.

First rifle was allegedly made by running the 35Whelen reamer in short until the necks lined up and then cutting the recess ... so to speak. Gunsmith now has a dedicated reamer and has built a few more on No4 actions where he can move a 225gr at 2400fps. Dies are made from 35Whelen shortened by 8-9mm.

Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass and/or 303 barrels must be free in Australia. I can't say much as I did build a double with surplus 303 bbls.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jacko303.35
posted Hide Post
In 30 cal form this is known as the 306 Confederate Sabre. Had quick look, here'a a couple of links with a little info in each. .170 is machined off the base of the dies

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=54909

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=547607

regards Jacko

"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin

Posts: 34 | Location: Sth East Qld Australia | Registered: 02 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to question why? Just because a thing can be done dose not mean it ought to be done. The classic 303 modification is the 303 Epps which is more or less a 303 Ackley Improved. This allows the original barrel and mag to be used. There are a variety of 303 Epps neck ups and neck downs it you want to rebarrel. However if someone wants to do it a different way, variety is the spice of luck. There is 303 Epps info on 303british.com

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jacko303.35
posted Hide Post
Why,In my experience Epps reamers and reamers for the myriad Australian improved .303 cases are rarer than Hens teeth in Australia. They just are not a common cartridge for Wildcatting anymore. It's a cost effective option. My project 35.303 would have cost me an extra $500 or so for an Epps reamer and custom dies and I could have saved around $125 with the shortened Wheelan dies instead of buying a set of 358 Win dies and .303 dies to swap parts over and paying for them to be modified to suit.

regards Jacko

"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin

Posts: 34 | Location: Sth East Qld Australia | Registered: 02 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I used to do that sort of thing I had a rare "303 Lewis" cartridge.

This was an experimental RIMLESS 303 for an "improved" Lewis Gun that never was developed.

Essentially it was:

Same OVERALL LENGTH as a 303 Mk VII

Same RIM DIAMETER as a 303 Mk VII.

So how was it "improved"? Basically it was a rimless case from the bottom. So the base was the same diameter as the rim, of course, with a taper then to just about the 1/8" beyond the shoulder of a standard 303 Mk VII.

I guess the conversion was very simple. Just ream the chamber and EVERYTHING ELSE did not have to be changed.

And, by the miracle of the internet, here it is:

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little new under the sun.

You might care to study the work of Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com. Mike has taken the .444 Marlin case (or .307 Winchester/ .356 Win) for the rim and chambers single shots so you reload with .308 or .358 dies and a .444 shell holder. .308 is just a short '06 case... I suppose 7/08 and .260 Rem would be doable too. Mike is semi retired now... but web site up when last I looked and youngster helping out. Luck.

The other that intrigued me but I never followed up, a rimmed .35 Remington was done with the .303 case and/ or .30/40 Krag, shortened and reloaded with .35 Rem dies and a .303 shell holder. For knocking over steel rams in the target game. Single shot hand guns. Like that.