New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie ? - 6x45mm (6mm-223 Remington)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello members: I am a complete newbie when it comes to wildcats, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have been pondering the idea of necking a 223 up to 6mm and have discovered that this has already been done. Can anyone give me some basic info about this cartridge? To create a rifle for one, would one simply have a 223 barrel rebored to 6mm, leaving the chamber untouched? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
G'day Pagris,
I have a ZKK601 in 6*45. It originally was a .223, I had it re-barrelled (1:10 twist) and chambered by a gunsmith. I shoot the Sierra #1510HP 75gn at 2950fps. I use Redding dies (3 dies set) which I got from Graffs.

The 6*45 is a low recoil / low report cartridge that by all reports is easy on barrels.

HTH

Cheers,
Richo.

"Living it Large"

To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

--Abraham H. Maslow --

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think you'll find that rebarreling is just as cheap or even less than reboring. 6x45 is a nice quite low recoil round that bucks the wind pretty well. in mine i use 24 gr of h335 and a 70 gr nosler bt

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote