New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3/300 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got my new toy today,built on a Sako 85 action,Lother barrel. Built by Accuflite Arms in Export Pennsylvania. They did the barrel break in. Formed 50 cases tonight, hope to get some loaded and play with it before the New Year. Will try to keep you posted

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly will be a powerful calibre Very similar to the factory 9.3x64 only yours will have one less round in the magazine. The 338 win or the 300 win case or better yet the 375 Ruger case would have given you better ballistics and one more round in the magazine. Why did you choose the 300WSM ??

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Certainly will be a powerful calibre Very similar to the factory 9.3x64 only yours will have one less round in the magazine. The 338 win or the 300 win case or better yet the 375 Ruger case would have given you better ballistics and one more round in the magazine. Why did you choose the 300WSM ??
I know pretty much zilch about the Sako 85 but have read they're offered in six action lengths scaled for the cartridges they're chambered for. No idea if truly six properly scaled actions or perhaps just a few actions factory blocked and magazine specific to a range of cartridges.

Regardless it appears the Sako 85 is offered in both 270 &300 WSM cartridges - I presume this is Spooksar's rational behind the 9.3/300 WSM chambering...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
So the 9,3/300WSM will hold 3grains of water more compared to the 9,3x62 and 7grains less than the 9,3x64 and 300WSM brass is way more expensive so i would say you really got a bargain there!
A true case of less for more.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
So the 9,3/300WSM will hold 3grains of water more compared to the 9,3x62 and 7grains less than the 9,3x64 and 300WSM brass is way more expensive so i would say you really got a bargain there!
A true case of less for more.

Dane

I suppose that depends on where you are-I have been reloading for 40 yrs and have never seen once fired 9.3x62 or x64 brass for sale--

I can buy once fired 270WSM and 300WSM brass literally by the bucket at every local gunshow.

To me that makes the 9.3x300WSM a smart move.

PS I shoot a 416 B&M and a 458 B&MSS based on the 300RUM and wsm cartridges so I put my money where my mouth is.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean Part of what you say is true about building a rifle that brass is readily available for. I see that you are from central Texas. The fellow that built this wildcat is from Alberta Canada. What is available in Texas may not be that easy to find in western Canada. Most who shoot metric calibres also reload them so yes you don't see pails of 1-f metric calibre brass at most gun shows. That does not mean that metric brass is hard to obtain.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman

that doest mean that the Dane should insult someone for their choice of cartridges either--esp not knowing all the circumstances.

We have no big prob, the Dane just came across as arrogant.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean I agree that no one needs to be insulted for their comments. When it is all said and done only one person needs to be happy with the wildcat they have built................The person who paid for it ! Merry Christmas to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I picked the 300 WSM case is because it's easy to find and cheap. If you do a search this cartridge is used a lot in Germany. Also I have 4 other 9.3 calibers and I wanted something that would better a 9.3x62 in a short action. As far as building something on the Ruger case, Hornady cases are hard to find and very costly here.

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Spooksar,
Hello from John Van Marter. Per your Dec. 20th note, I have almost the same chambering, mine is the 7WSM case just necked up to .366.
The rifle is a Mod. 70-7WSM Classic redue, 25" Lother Walther barrel( lightest SS contour),1-12 twist w Muscle side vent muzzle brake.
Ammo spec.-67.5-Varget-250 Accubond(HBN coated)Russ. primer-W-W case
COAL-2.960(.060 off lands)-(just fits magazine)-3.020 to lands.
My intent was to equal the 9.3-64 Brenneke, with brass availability not a problem.It sure lives up to that plus some.Lots of fun shooting it at 1000 yd's.The 7mm didnot shot very well so re-barreling was not a hard choice.
The felt recoil is like a 30-06 with a 180.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
John
Vel.-2842-ES-24

Posts: 3 | Location: Capitan,N.Mex. | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting wildcat. Are the bullets 0.366" diameter? That seems uncommon; or are they 0.358" or 0.375" maybe? What weights do you plan to use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Interesting wildcat. Are the bullets 0.366" diameter? That seems uncommon; or are they 0.358" or 0.375" maybe? What weights do you plan to use?

bullets are .366.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spooksar When you get shooting your rifle I would like to hear what loads you are using and what velocities you are getting. I'm sure there are lots of others that would be interested as well. Good luck with your test loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 quite a bit over the years I would say you have a rather nice wildcat that is easy to load and components are readily available..Most bullet companies are now producing .366 bullets, Nosler, Woodliegh, Speer, GSC, Barnes, just to name a few and that case will work fine for RL-15, H414, and Rl-17 and probably a lot more.

I have never had any trouble finding components for my 9.3x62, had some brass problems with the 9.3x64 but that's been taken care of by Horneber through Huntingtons. Lots of factory ammo now for the 9.3x62.

Your caliber should best the 9.3x62, at least on paper and it should make you an interesting and very fine hunting rifle with few if any problems with your reloading except finding reloading data.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I fired 5 shots out of it on Monday just to sight in, it's was -28 Celsius so I didn't try for a group or set up the Crony. Load was 64 grs Reloader 17, Norma brass, CCI 250 primer shooting a 250 gr Nosler Accbond.No sign of high pressure. The gunsmith Crony'ed a load with 62grs of Reloader 17 and got 2400fps out of it. I'm hoping for 2550-2600 out of it. Hopefully I can get out New Years Day and play with it. If not it will be a couple of. Weeks as we are looking at a week of -25 weather

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHERE was it that "The Dane" insulted anyone???????????????...OR was arrogant???????? All I saw was he stated pretty much what I see about the 9.3x300 WSM, maybe a bit short and terse but certainly NOT insulting or arrogant.

People on this forum seem to find something wrong with the most innocent statement.

I see nothing wrong with the 9.3x300 WSM but I would probably go with a 9.3 B&M or a 2.25" reformed RUM case for the longer case and higher volume except I have a 9.3 x 62mm, have wildcatted 50 odd years and bought a Savage center fire mag rifle just for the action so I can do a bit of wildcatting with the WSM, Ruger and RUM cases.

You have a very nice, very usable rifle, Spooksar, just enjoy it and understand that everyone has their own ideas about "stuff".

Keep us informed about your progress.

I have a 2.25" version designed and saved in my cartridge design software and have looked into using Redding Bushing dies instead of the more expensive CH$D custom dies or reworking standard dies.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
WHERE was it that "The Dane" insulted anyone???????????????...OR was arrogant???????? All I saw was he stated pretty much what I see about the 9.3x300 WSM, maybe a bit short and terse but certainly NOT insulting or arrogant.

People on this forum seem to find something wrong with the most innocent statement.

I see nothing wrong with the 9.3x300 WSM but I would probably go with a 9.3 B&M or a 2.25" reformed RUM case for the longer case and higher volume except I have a 9.3 x 62mm, have wildcatted 50 odd years and bought a Savage center fire mag rifle just for the action so I can do a bit of wildcatting with the WSM, Ruger and RUM cases.

You have a very nice, very usable rifle, Spooksar, just enjoy it and understand that everyone has their own ideas about "stuff".

Keep us informed about your progress.

I have a 2.25" version designed and saved in my cartridge design software and have looked into using Redding Bushing dies instead of the more expensive CH$D custom dies or reworking standard dies.

Luck
Would appear you've recreated the 9.3 B&M cartridge with your 2.25" case length. SSK has the reamer and Michael458 has the dies and reloading information.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got out to shoot today. 1% Celius and snowing so did not Chrony it. Shot 3 groups biggest was 3/4" smallest 1/2", distance was 100 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE...What bullet/powder/~velo, Spooksar?

True, True, Jim...I started working on a line of WSM wildcats when the WSM/RUM first appeared along with some 'cats using shortened Gibbs, Lapua and Rigby cases, then later, Ruger's line of cases. I've been totally intrigued by the 404 case ever since I first saw it in P.O.'s books way back when. I'm not commercially inclined, moneyed enough, nor inclined to do any for pay so just do my 'cats for myself.

I just drew up/developed several lines using 2", 2.25" and 2.50" case lengths, using those above mentioned cases, for nothing more than edification, economics across the line and knowledge. I also messed around with most of the available belted mag cases at one time or another and did a few by turning off the belts, turning down rims and turning rimmed cases into rimless ones. I'm just one of many experimenters to have walked down these paths.

I came across the B&M line earlier this year when I was flush and wanting to do a few more rifles or switch barrels and noted their version was 2.24, mine was 2.25" and a few other minor differences of no consequence.

I contacted them in regards to me sending in my barrels to them to chamber, I was interested in the 9.3, 375, 416 and 475 cartridges, but I guess that's tantamount to taking your steak to a fancy restaurant and asking to borrow their grill, Confused Wink shocker lol, and also about dies but no reply was forth coming...but they may have been hunting or I fell through the cracks...NO matter and no reflection on them, I was just trying to shift the chambering costs to them instead of PT&G for the reamers, but now in hindsight I think the shipping to and fro would have killed that thought quickly.

I've been at this game a long time and work through the process to arrive at the most economical solution...that includes the whole package from brass to barrel, dies, stocks, sights, bullets, chamber throat length and magazine length and I do my own work so any muck up attaches to no one but myself.

I doubt there are ANY CASES that haven't been wildcatted by some one at sometime and in this day of CNC machinery EVERY new case that hits the market has been morphed and iterated into multitudes of strange beasts even before the case is available, and I'm sure there have been MANY duplications. The only time you/anyone is aware of it is if it happens to be already-been-done and commercially available or posted on some forum.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load is posted above, it was to snowy to set up the Crony today hope to do it when the weather is better

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got the Crony out, I was getting 2500 fps with the above load. There was no sign of pressure, I will now load with 1/2 grain increase in powder till I see pressure signs. Then I will Crony again. I'm hoping for 2500-2600 fps out of it. Today it was -16 Celsius, and the readings where 10 feet from the muzzle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spooksar...
I ran your 62 gr RL17, 250 gr NAB, 2.86" COAL, 83.5 gr H2O and 24"bbl through QL and it came up with 2485 fs at 40818 psi...64 gr gave 2569 at 45110 psi...plenty on the down low for that cartridge pressure wise...it is MAP' ed at 63817 psi. It also showed a 100% load of RL17 as being 65 gr ~2600 fs at 47658 psi...and for RL15 a 100%/62 gr/2678 fs at 57906 psi.

I don't know what powders are available to you but 62 gr WW748 gives 2728/93%/ 62191 psi for a top load.

Maybe one of the newer IMR 4451 or 4166 powders will fit better in the WSM case, one of them is supposed to be developed for WSM calibers.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont do load developement in the winter if you dont want winter only loads, pressure will be high in summer.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Develop and SHOOT you're loads for the temperatures that you will be hunting in, and use temp insensitive powders if possible.

Some of the newer powders are temp insensitive over a very wide range and so are some of the older powders.

I test my loads at both temp extremes and note what the velocity's are. When I get a wide variation in velos or accuracy falls off I find another powder.

I try for a powder that gives the highest velo and highest accuracy at the lowest pressures and has a reputation for temperature insensitivity initially and I shoot more sage rats in the hotter months than other game in the fall so my powder choices fall into a narrow range.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooksar:
Finally got the Crony out, I was getting 2500 fps with the above load. There was no sign of pressure, I will now load with 1/2 grain increase in powder till I see pressure signs. Then I will Crony again. I'm hoping for 2500-2600 fps out of it. Today it was -16 Celsius, and the readings where 10 feet from the muzzle.

I run a 35Sambar (358WSM) and easily get 2600 witha 250 grain pill so I would think the 9.3 version should do the same.

Not at home at the moment but from recolection I get 2550fps with a 275grain Woodleigh.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spooksar I have checked my loads and with a 250grain bullet in 358cal I am geting 2700fps 12feet from the muzzel. This is with 73grains of AR2209 and 2580fps with the 275grain Woodleigh with 71grains of AR2209.

I don't think you will have any trouble obtaining similar velocity with your 9.3WSM

AR2209 is H414/H4350 in the US

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatters can sure get all fuzzy a cuddly about some things! Eeker

I can get 2700 FPS with a 250 gr. bullet in my 9.3x62! and 2550 FPS with a 286 Nosler needed to make it legal for DG in Tanzania and Zimbabwe. The PHs over yonder been doing that for ions..so I would get all mushy over 2600 FPS in a magnum case.

And the 9.3x64 is just more of the goodness of a 9.3x62,,

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great round. Ray, u must have lots of barrel length to get that velocity. With how challenging it is to get 9.3×64 Brenneke brass. I think the WSM case is a great idea. A friend built a 9.3 on the 338 Win Mag case and it duplicates the Brenneke except brass is simple to come by. With the barrel length you have. I'm sure you can get 2700+ fps with Varget and the 250 gr bullet. Awesome moose and grizzly round.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie Sisk makes a 9.3mm on a 350 Rem Mag case....a similar project.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,
You got no argument with me, on the 9.3x300WSM, all combos mentioned are pretty much the same ball of wax balistically...Its no great trick to get 2700 FPS with either a 250 gr. bullet or the 230 gr. GS Customs bullets in my 9.3x62. but I have a Lothar walthar barrel and they do get a bit more than most barrels. however my half oct/half round old German rifle shot the same load of RL 15 or RL 17..I dunno maybe I use more powder! shocker

One thing I wonder about is it seems 9.3x64 brass may be easier to get when all this mess washes out! Eeker That's a first.

I'm having trouble finding any 300 brass of any kind locally and hard to find on the internet. I did find some PPU at Graffs but it has been back ordered for several months, but in stock now..its good stuff btw.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Wildcatters can sure get all fuzzy a cuddly about some things! Eeker

I can get 2700 FPS with a 250 gr. bullet in my 9.3x62! and 2550 FPS with a 286 Nosler needed to make it legal for DG in Tanzania and Zimbabwe. The PHs over yonder been doing that for ions..so I would get all mushy over 2600 FPS in a magnum case.

And the 9.3x64 is just more of the goodness of a 9.3x62,,

Just revisited this thread. Have to ask what velocities do you get when running standard bullets not bore riders?

I would not really call a WSM case a true magnum.

The 9.2X63 is a good cartridge and I feel the 9.3WSM will be more of a good thing.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
2550 FPS with a 286 Nosler needed to make it legal for DG in Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

Correction needed on this:
Tanzania has a strict .375" law, not a muzzle energy law.

A few years ago we considered an appropriate rifle for Tanzania for my wife. The lightweight Tikka in 9.3x62 seemed to be an attractive option. BUT--it is not legal for buffalo. Even if my wife is mainly interested in good tasting and beautiful plains game (buffalo are mean and ugly), it still seemed best to go with a calibre that was not restricted.

The solution was easy--the 375 Ruger.
The calibre is 100% legal in Tanzania. And it can be downloaded to 338WM levels or even down to 35 Whelen or 30-06 levels should the shooter desire. For the moment we're thinking about 4000 ftlbs, the 338WinMag level.

For example, the 235gn CEB ER can be loaded to 2800fps for that level, which makes a nice plains game load even at 300 yards. For comfy, we could consider 2600fps (3600ftlbs), giving up a couple of inches at 300yards, but making the rifle more appealing for both hunting and practice.

How does this relate to the 9.3/300? Well, the proposed wildcat would be just about the exact duplicate to the hunting expectations just mentioned, WITH the EXCEPTION of buffalo. The 9.3 would still be illegal for buffalo in Tanzania.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.