Notify
Tools

.405 Grenadier - Intro and Marlin 1895
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
80 gr TTSX leaving the muzzle of my 1885 Browning @3997 fps.

Frowner What does this have to do with a 405 Grenadier?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
So is this pretty much a 416 Barnes except in .411? Or am I missing something?
. Yes, you're missing it. The 405 Grenadier is based on the 7.62x54R Russian case. That case offers advantages over using either the 45-70 case or the 444 Marlin case. Also, it is designed to shoot short .405 Win bullets (for lever action use) suitable for non-magnum velocities. How many flat /round nose 300gr bullets designed for 2000fps muzzle velocity are available in .416 caliber?

Take the great 7.62x54R case, blow it out a smidge, and add a bullet designed for the 405 Winchester.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, you're missing it. The 405 Grenadier is based on the 7.62x54R Russian case

homer Thanks. For some reason I saw your first picture with the 45-70 took that as the parent and evidently skipped over the 54 russian reference. Must have been seeing what I wanted to see. Roll Eyes

Thanks for setting me straight.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Grendadier
I'm working on making a battery of Winchester 95 rifles in various calibers. Right now I have 405 Winchester, a 30-06 and one under way becoming 375 Whelen. Next I'm thinking of a 7.62X54 Russian since that caliber was what most 95s were made for.
My grandsons, stocky fellows that they are may wonder what form of masochist Granddad was, when they get the rifles.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......just a question on your Marlin rifle....what weight is it?? and whats the recoil like with your 300gr 405G loads ??

My thoughts are that if its reasonably comfortable to fire out of a relatively light gun like the Marlin ,then one could make a fairly light weight,heavy calibre rifle using this cartridge.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Roger,

It weighs what a regular Marlin 1895 would weigh except for the extra 4" barrel length. The .45-70 barrel that came off is 18-1/2" overall and the .405 Grenadier barrel is 22-1/2" overall. The load I have been shooting, 300gr Hornady @ 1955fps, is gentle as a pussycat in this rifle and recoil is noticeably less than with the 300gr .45-70 factory loads. The 1955fps load would be a very good choice for a lightweight big bore.

I have some different bullets to try and some more powders on the way.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Have you given cast boolits any thought? They should be fun.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Have you given cast boolits any thought? They should be fun.
I have some 430gr paper-patched lead bullets to try out when the powders arrive. Should be next week.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Whats the reason for going to the trouble to paper patch?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Whats the reason for going to the trouble to paper patch?
I got the bullets to try out in a 400H&H. I thought I would see how they work out in the .405 Grenadier. The bullets are pure lead and have been sized. They have no grease grooves. The paper will allow me to shoot them at fairly high velocity without leading the bore. It was no trouble for me to wrap paper on them because I purchased them sized and wrapped. I don't cast and I don't have a bullet sizer. I just thought I would try a little lead to see how it shoots.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats a good reason. tu2 Interested to see how it turns out.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, where are you getting boxer primed brass? Seems like all the surplus I have seen for sale has been berdan primed steel...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,
are there any updates on this?

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
Grenadier, where are you getting boxer primed brass? Seems like all the surplus I have seen for sale has been berdan primed steel...
I was using Winchester brass 7.62x54R ammunition but those disappeared. The only thing I can find from Winchester these days is steel cases. Just for fun I tried fire forming a few. Every single one split wide open the length of the neck.

I am now fire forming brass from Prvi Partizan ammunition. It works great. I have reloaded some four times.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It was about time for me to get busy with the Marlin again.
So, after gathering all the stuff, and replacing a broken chronograph, here are several loads I worked up for the .405 Grenadier in the Marlin 1895.

The primers were standard Federal Large Rifle.
Brass was fire formed from Prvi Partizan 7.62.54R ammunition.
Bullets were seated on the cannelure with the exception of the Woodleighs.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting comparison:

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to use the same parent case to make a straight walled .458" pistol round? Could be lots of fun. 458 Grenade? Lol BOOM

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Well, you could, but you couldn't do anything better than the .460 S&W Magnum and .454 Casull haven't already already done better. Then you'd still have that big rim to deal with.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess if you already had a 45-70 and loved the wide range of bullets for the 45-70 it could be interesting. Perhaps turn the rims down if needed.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Hmm, neat!

So it is kind of a shorter version of the 450/400 NE 2.5 or 10.3x60R. I think the case length of the 10.3x60R Swiss is 2.36ish inches.

Yours looks a skosh shorter, if it's not the same.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Case length is same as the 7.62x54R - 2.1"

Overall cartridge length must be 2.6" or less to cycle through the Marlin lever rifle. For bolt rifles the cartridge length can go over 3.0". However, with most big bullets loaded to the cannelure the overall length ends up around 2.8".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever get around to trying out 4198, or perhaps an even more ideal powder? Just curious.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried IMR 4198 but it should be another good powder for this, so would Reloader 10X. Alliant AR-Comp was giving me some great results in the Mosin-Nagant where I could load the bigger bullets. I'll be wringing out some loads for that in the next week or two.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I ginned up a comparison of energies at 100 yards. The .45-70 Level 2 load is the Remington 405gr bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1750fps.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Just curious. I wonder what the velocity is of the 7.62 Russian round out of the Marlin???
I chronographed some in the 500-700fps range, depending on brand of ammo and load. That's not impressive for the 7.62x54R but still potentially deadly and more good reason to make sure all fire forming rounds are shot in a safe direction.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Such a great project, Gren.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Any desire for a 35 Grenadier?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've already been considering it. I think I have something better in mind but you can't make me talk. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
fishing
I think a higher power 35 for the Marlin could be the knees of bees.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Photobucket crapped out. Here are some of the pictures that went dark. These are from Flickr.

.45-70, .405 Grenadier, and the 300gr bullets they each shoot.

.458 Sierra
Dia = .458"
Wt. = 300gr
BC = .145
SD = .204

.405 Hornady
Dia = .411
Wt. = 300gr
BC = .215
SD = .251

Left to right - .45-70 case, 7.62x54R cartridge, .405 Grenadier cartridge, .405 Grenadier case:

Published factory muzzle velocities for .444 and .45-70 are based on velocities from 24" or 26" "test" barrels.
Therefore, all muzzle velocities used for the below cartridges have been "normalized" for a 22" barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a dimensional case drawing available?

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Yes, on another computer. I won't be able to get it for a few days but I'll try to remember and get it uploaded. I have the reamer drawing as well. Reamers are listed on the Pacific Tool and Guage website - http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...renadier-reamer.html .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for making this "open source".

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote