.300 Tomahawk (.300 RUM Imp. )
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted
 -

-
Here are the specs...
It has a 30" Shilen Stainless barrel (1:10" Twist) that is .950" at the muzzle with a KDF muzzle brake. The action is a model 70 Winchester post 64, push feed type. It is in the McMillan MBR (Tooley Design) stock that is black with gray marble coloring. It was chambered in .300 Tomahawk by Ray Romain. The scope base is a 20 MOA taper Ken Farrell unit with NightForce rings and a Leupold 8.5-25x50 LR with the Target Dot Reticle. I will probably install a Jewell trigger eventually, but the factory unit will do for now...

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Looks trick. Talk to me about the cartridge. I had Dave Kiff grind a .300 Ultra smaller than mins and make it 0.003 over the average of 20 neck measurements on factory shells. I wanted to be able to benefit from turning at the same time use factory fodder if need be. Thought about using his .300 Rogue, straightened with 40 deg shoulder, but then to get the most I would have had to buy custom dies too.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
The .300 Tomahawk is an Improved version of the .300 RUM with a 35 degree shoulder and minimum body taper...It holds about 6-7% more powder than the std. RUM... Thanks, CJ

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bullet weight is shown in the picture? Nice lookin rifle!!

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
The bullet is a Sierra 240 gr MatchKing loaded in front of 104.5 gr of H870. I'm using Fed. 210M primers. I found that the 215's caused a pressure spike with the H870 and caused flucuations in velocity. The above combo nets 3100fps in my other Tomahawk with the same length barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the Rogue cases had a 37 degree shoulder?

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote