Picture of stradling
posted
looking for a load recipe

for this wildcat

have die's

have rifle

have time to make it go shoot

need load data

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
55grs of 4895 would be a safe starting load,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
thanks

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Same as the .416 B&M ? If so the data in this link could be useful.

https://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/416-B-M.html

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I believe the 416/300 WSM cartridge is referred to as the 416 Compact. It is listed on AmmoGuide Interactive reloading info is available there,

The 416 Compact uses a 2.1”/53mm case length at 2.795” COAL whereas the 416 B&M uses a 2.25”/57mm case length at 2.995” COAL. Please consider these differences should you use the B&M loading data.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
.416 SM2 or for us ''concho cowboys'' 300 WSM -.416

thanks all for the help

I purchased the rifle here on the form a year or 3 back can not for the love of god remember who

he suggested a load - well thats long gone at this point

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
.416 SM2 or for us ''concho cowboys'' 300 WSM -.416

thanks all for the help

I purchased the rifle here on the form a year or 3 back can not for the love of god remember who

he suggested a load - well thats long gone at this point
Hopefully this link will work for you:
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...fZZkGcqdGQ&catid=756

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
thanks --on it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought the better choice for this class of wildcat would be the 325 WSM necked up to .410/.411. The 325 case would most likely neck up in one pass through a die, and it has a 30° shoulder instead of the 35° of the 300 WSM, so should give better feeding. With the nominal .410 bullet diameter, you still get all the premium bullets for dangerous game, but add all the cast and pistol bullets from 170 to 400 grains for the smaller stuff.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I always thought Winchester blew it when the popularity of the 1895 in 405 WCF bloomed some years back by not introducing a 405 WSM in the Winchester M70 as well as the Browning BLR.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would slobber all over myself for a BLR in 405 WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that there is a elephant or Buffalo alive that could tell the difference in any of these .416 mentioned and a .416 Chatfield Taylor that has a more substantial neck for those heavy bullets..I built a couple of CTS but never used one in Africa as I had a 416 Rem, 375 H&H and 404 plus other bigger bores I played with, but they did nothing a CT couldn,t do. Same for the .375 CT, I duplicated my H&H with it, but again never took it to Africa..All these calibers mentioned duplicate each other in every way that's practicle anyway.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote