Find
Notify
Tools

What case to make a rimmed 243 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
What case would likely form in a 243 Win dye to make a 243 rimmed cartridge with all the same case as the 243 win to make for a rimmed 243 light double rifle?

…………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
400/350Rigby and the 400/360 both have a base of .470"
The 9.3X74R is close too so that may be the most available brass to get ahold of.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you just run 444 marlin brass in a .243 die and trim?

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
7x57 rimmed ??

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Why not the 307 Winchester? It's pretty much a rimmed .308 Winchester.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:

I would think The 307 Win is a simi-rimmed case and doen't have enough rim surface to be dependable in the ejector double rifle. The 9.3/74 may well be a good choice. The 7MM rimmed might be a good choice as well! The 444 marlin may well be a choices as well.

…………………………..Thanks guys I'll take a look at all the suggestions!

………………………………………………………….. old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
307 win, 308 marlin, 356 win, 375 win.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Sorry...375 win. is only a long 30-30....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powered by Social Strata    

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS    Rifles    Wildcats And Their Development    What case to make a rimmed 243 ?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,that was not mine,some glitch on the computer. The 375 Win brass can be resized in one stroke to 32 Win Spl.(FWIW)

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
7x57 / 8x57 . 7x63/8x63 rimmed version of all exist

i think 307 would be easer

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SB 6.5x57R

Not available as components unfortunately, but $100-for-100 average would set you for life.

Pull the bullets or use as is...

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I believer the OP question is what rimmed case can used to form a case dimensionally the same as the 243.
Base diameter is the most critical measurement So that is why the 9.3x74 is what I mentioned.

Are you thinking along the lines of cartridges such as 333 Jeffery rimmed and rimless, 6.5x53R and 6.5x54 or the 7x65R and 7x64?
Each pair of these use the same dies for forming but different shell holders for their rim type.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I believer the OP question is what rimmed case can used to form a case dimensionally the same as the 243.
Base diameter is the most critical measurement So that is why the 9.3x74 is what I mentioned.

I'm leaning toward the 9.3X74R case as I own two double rifles so chambered and have about 100 empty cases to use for this project.

Some question why I do not want a rimless case. I simply do not like rimless cartridges in a double rifle, but I love the 243 Win cartridge for most North American hunting up to and including Mule deer and Prong horn, with varmint hunting as well.

I think I will be looking hard at the 9.3X74R .

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lets talk about the 375 a bit more.
since it can be reformed into 7.62 X51R it could certainly be formed into 243X51R without too much trouble.

the OP wants a rimmed 243 type case, the 375 brass clearly fills the criteria and if done properly will have the same case volume as the 243 only with a rim.

and if starting from scratch the 303 Brit, 30-40 Krag,348 win and 8X50R case would be on my list too.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
lets talk about the 375 a bit more.
since it can be reformed into 7.62 X51R it could certainly be formed into 243X51R without too much trouble.

the OP wants a rimmed 243 type case, the 375 brass clearly fills the criteria and if done properly will have the same case volume as the 243 only with a rim.

and if starting from scratch the 303 Brit, 30-40 Krag,348 win and 8X50R case would be on my list too.

I just looked at the 444 Marlin and the measurements are much closer to the 243 Win case than the 475 Winchester. I may try both and see which is best for this project!
I will need a set of forming dies custom cut for this wildcat so I'll look at all the suggestions before I order forming dies.

Thanks to all here for the help on this wildcat project!

…………………………………………….. old tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.246_Purdey

from 444 marlin in the donelly book

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have a copy of that book. I bought one of the 1st ones when it came out + it has been more valuable than gold on numerous occasions;damned good reading too,if you're into that kind of thing,as I am.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

………………...Thanks richj! I printed the link out so if I can't find 246 Purdy dies I can have some made with sizing dies to make the cases out of 444 Marlin.

…………...Thanks for the help from all here! That is the reason Accurate Reloading is so popular with shooters, YOU DON'T KNOW JUST ASK!

…………………………………………………. old tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

………………...Thanks richj! I printed the link out so if I can't find 246 Purdy dies I can have some made with sizing dies to make the cases out of 444 Marlin.

…………...Thanks for the help from all here! That is the reason Accurate Reloading is so popular with shooters, YOU DON'T KNOW JUST ASK!

…………………………………………………. old tu2

Did you get my email?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out those semi-rimmed case rim OD's...the 444 runs about 0.0507-.08" and so does the 356, 307 etc...before you get too wild.

I would also check out the 303 Brit and the 30-40 cases...about the same case volume/performance...cases are plentiful AND CHEAP...rim is ~0.540" plus or minus a bit and the base OD is slightly smaller at 0.456-57", so should work MUCH better for a double's extractors...and there are already reamers/dies available for the 303 Epp's version (also the 30-40/6mm/243 I believe) and you DON'T need pricey case forming dies or the chore of reforming...plus A.I. versions.

Just a thought.

I've used reformed 444 M cases in several leverguns instead of the OEM rimless version, MIXED, rimmed/rimless and never had a hitch...they ALL worked through the action, fired and ejected...but I'm not a doubles man so it might be something to check closely for that application.

I should also think that you could use a standard 243 reamer for the chambering if you went that way, then fire form the cases...then you could use standard 243 reamer/dies. You might need to cut the rim pocket separately prior to chambering to get the headspace right, but if you go with the Epps or 30-40 version it's just a chamber job.

I've taken the 444 case down to 25 cal just using cheap Lee sizer/seaters and any other 306 case size die I needed to get the step down job done.

The 303 Brit and 30-40 rimmed cases were very popular for wildcatting at one time.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
NONAGONAGIN: Thanks for the very well described post on this little project! I think your post is very helpful and I will consider your suggestions, they sound very good. Many of the cases you mention I have on hand, as I have owned almost every firearm for just about all of them at one time or another.

Thanks again to all who have offered good advice on this little 6mm cartridge.

……………………………………………………….. tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a quick aside...I think the 246 Purdey Flanged and a double rifle go hand in hand...and it just sounds right. Big Grin Cool

You might also take a close look at the 7x57R Mauser case(Rim is ~0.521" or thereabouts) as it is as close to a 246 as you can get...a 246 Purdey Flanged very slightly smaller little brother...and SOOOOOO EASY to do and you could use 243 W dies to form the neck, beside the rimless 6mm x 57 version has already been done, dies are available and probably one of the reamer makers has a reamer available...no need for forming dies. I think you could forgive the 0.004" difference in base diameter given the variations in case dimensions. Besides you could have a Purdey shaped reamer made to x57 specs and still call it a Purdey and have that nice relatively long tapered shoulder for quick loading. If I were a doubles man and a lot fewer projects going on I might be all over this.

Hey...LOTS of ways to go here and get your perddy Purdey. Big Grin

Yeah me too...if I didn't already have "TOO MANY STRANGE WILDCATS" hiding in every corner, and too many 6mm Somethings under the table and behind the refrigerator, your project would merit a VERY close look.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
As a quick aside...I think the 246 Purdey Flanged and a double rifle go hand in hand...and it just sounds right. Big Grin Cool

You might also take a close look at the 7x57R Mauser case(Rim is ~0.521" or thereabouts) as it is as close to a 246 as you can get...a 246 Purdey Flanged very slightly smaller little brother...and SOOOOOO EASY to do and you could use 243 W dies to form the neck, beside the rimless 6mm x 57 version has already been done, dies are available and probably one of the reamer makers has a reamer available...no need for forming dies. I think you could forgive the 0.004" difference in base diameter given the variations in case dimensions. Besides you could have a Purdey shaped reamer made to x57 specs and still call it a Purdey and have that nice relatively long tapered shoulder for quick loading. If I were a doubles man and a lot fewer projects going on I might be all over this.

Hey...LOTS of ways to go here and get your perddy Purdey. Big Grin

Yeah me too...if I didn't already have "TOO MANY STRANGE WILDCATS" hiding in every corner, and too many 6mm Somethings under the table and behind the refrigerator, your project would merit a VERY close look.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

…………………………………………………………... tu2 old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there should be a reform die set to make a 7mm round on the 444.
it might be helpful in the process of going to 6mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This really a pretty easy question (in my opinion). That is pending the performance you are targeting.
Just expand the neck on a 225 winchester to .243 A 225 winchester is about the same performance as a 22-250 in a rimmed case.
Not sure the availability of brass?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
7x57 / 8x57 . 7x63/8x63 rimmed version of all exist

i think 307 would be easer

Mac,
like i said, just use rimmed mauser brass

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-usa-reloading-brass

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm out of here on this thread. I send an email and notify the feller on this post and no response. I think he must be a keyboard wildcatter. I have quite a bit of 250 brass and 225. They are Federal without headstamp.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the 250 and 225 cases can be wildcatted to 6mm and have already been done in the past, the 225 base OD is ~0.424", rim 0.473" and case volume is ~40 gr H20...MUCH smaller and less volume than the 246 Flanged that Mac was asking about for.

Nothing wrong with going that route...ref 6mm-223 and 6mm FB...but again, there are several already-been-done RIMMED cases available that you DON'T have to muck about with costly case forming dies, messing about with case forming or fire-forming or hair pulling....like the x57 case...that are for all intents and purposes ALMOST identical to the 246 Flanged in case dimensions AND case volume...UNLESS YOU WANT a 246 Flanged and can find stamped 246 Flanged cases or have then made.

WHY even think about any other cases??????????

If I had a 246 Flanged double made, went to the trouble of having cases made and stamped correctly and some phool started waving a micrometer at a case, he/she might just find reading the spool very difficult with it stuck up some smelly orifice. Mad

And...YES...the world is ffffFULL of keyboard wildcatters...you only have to read AR or any other gun related forum for a few days to find many...so whats the big deal? NO ONE really knows what happens to those once the question has been asked and answered unless they post results or pictures. It whizzes me off also, posting my knowledge and information with no thank you, kiss my a** or ph**all...EXCEPT for a few gentlemen out there.

This IS a forum where you are supposed to be able to ask questions and get good answers without being pilloried...or shot in the arse. Frowner

Good Hunting tu2 beer

PS: I have a question...[I]EXCEPT FOR DG [/] game where I would want a rimmed case for more positive extraction/ejection...WHY NOT go with a rimless case???? I've seen doubles chambered for rimless calibers and I have built several NEF swap barrel shooter for BOTH RIMMED AND RIMLESS calibers that work properly...ejecting or extracting with little or no problems.

Always wondered about this.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I'm out of here on this thread. I send an email and notify the feller on this post and no response. I think he must be a keyboard wildcatter. I have quite a bit of 250 brass and 225. They are Federal without headstamp.

If you are talking about me if I didn't return any E-mail from you it is because I did not get any E-mail from you or did not recognize you as the sender. Additionally my E-mail has not been working properly for some time!

I think it is time to drop this all together, but I do appreciate the help from all here who went out of their way to share some knowledge!

…………………………………………………..BYE! wave

……………………………………………... killpc

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, came up with a program for the T/C line. .444 Marlin cases/shelll holder and the .308 famuly dies. Dupes the .308 with a rim or 7/08 or .358... No reason you could not do this with a .243 but his interest seemed more in hunting rifle calibers than varmint rifle calibers. Costs nothing to ask. Happy Holidays. Happy trials.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, came up with a program for the T/C line. .444 Marlin cases/shelll holder and the .308 famuly dies. Dupes the .308 with a rim or 7/08 or .358... No reason you could not do this with a .243 but his interest seemed more in hunting rifle calibers than varmint rifle calibers. Costs nothing to ask. Happy Holidays. Happy trials.

I have some other cartridges based on the .444 M case used in Thompson contender hunting handguns. The largest being .411 JDJ, however I do not consider a 243 Win rifle to be a varmint rifle. I have taken a boat load of big mule deer with one shot kills DRT, from 50 yds to 300 yds and never had to shoot one twice!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''' old Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
What case would likely form in a 243 Win dye to make a 243 rimmed cartridge with all the same case as the 243 win to make for a rimmed 243 light double rifle?

…………………………………………………………... old

Does it have to be 243 dimensions?

If not, what about the 303/243. Used to be plenty used in Australia although nowhere near like the 303/25. I suppose you being American I should say 243/303 and 25/303.

As a side note, the 303/270 was used with 100 grain bullet with the 174 grain Mark VII ammo having the bullet pulled, necked down to 270 and the 100 grain bullet seated over the cordite load. Oh, for the good old days. Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes factory ammunition can ruin a wildcatters dream..:LOL

Rimmed factory made .243cal (6mm) is already being made...

6x62R Freres

https://www.chuckhawks.com/6x62_6x62R.htm

If one could also take the 6,5x57R and neck it down. ..or even the 6,5x65R to 6mm...obvious choices.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Sometimes factory ammunition can ruin a wildcatters dream..:LOL

Rimmed factory made .243cal (6mm) is already being made...

6x62R Freres

https://www.chuckhawks.com/6x62_6x62R.htm

If one could also take the 6,5x57R and neck it down. ..or even the 6,5x65R to 6mm...obvious choices.

Thanks for the link! That may be the best way to go. I don't care if the cartridge is a "WILDCAT" or simply a 243 win "rimmed duplicate" so I can build a rimmed 243, side by side double rifle!

Thanks for all the suggestions here! I will now leave this sight to those who post here most!

…………………………………………...BYE! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldIf it were me I think I might try the .444 Marlin case. A set of Butch's bushing would facilitate the job. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still wondering WHAT you want..a 243 volume case with a rim or a RIMMED case to neck to 243???...it's been done and all the pieces and parts are available...it's called the 243 Epps/Epps Imp...NICE, wide, fat rim almost ≈0.080"x 0.064 thick or 0.35" per side...MUCH larger than the ≈0.044"/0.022" than the 444 M case...and almost the same case volume in the Imp version...WHATS to think about.

You want an easily accomplished 234 sum'n-sum'n for a double...there is is.

And there is always all the other LARGE rimmed cases that have ALREADY have been wildcatted and all the components being readily available...38, 40, 44 and 45 cal black powder cases.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Still wondering WHAT you want..a 243 volume case with a rim or a RIMMED case to neck to 243???...it's been done and all the pieces and parts are available...it's called the 243 Epps/Epps Imp...NICE, wide, fat rim almost ≈0.080"x 0.064 thick or 0.35" per side...MUCH larger than the ≈0.044"/0.022" than the 444 M case...and almost the same case volume in the Imp version...WHATS to think about.

You want an easily accomplished 234 sum'n-sum'n for a double...there is is.

And there is always all the other LARGE rimmed cases that have ALREADY have been wildcatted and all the components being readily available...38, 40, 44 and 45 cal black powder cases.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

NONAGONAGIN, I'm not a wildcatter, and have no desire to become one! As I said at the outset, all I wanted was some information from folks who do these thing just to prove to them selves that it can be done.

What I have found is that unknown to me what I want has already been done with the 6mmX62R.

That was the answer to my question and if the components are available then that is all I need!

…………………………………………………………. old patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ya' go...20% more volume makes it a rimmed 6mm-06 basically. PT&G has a reamer...RCBS or CH-4D has the dies...so your set. If you're satisfied that's all that matters...but your getting VERY close to that ....... line....hahahahahah Big Grin

Keep your progress posted, I keep trying to come up with a double I might pop for. Wink

Good Hunting tu2 beer