New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.7x29, Spitwad, L-Hornet etc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this isn't an über ulta nitro max magnum, but I thought I'd share an old project of mine. I could put this under "small calibers" or "custom built rifles" but I suppose the interesting part of this is the wildcat side of it.

I have a few 22 Hornets that are great for shooting high volume on the cheap. However, two of them are single shots, and the other has a whopping 6-round magazine that only works with stubby bullets. I picked up a 30-round 30 Carbine magazine years ago and thought it would be neat to make a small 22 varmint rifle using it. So the 30 Carbine necked down to 22 is the Spitfire. I picked up a spitfire reamer, but the problem with the spitfire is that pointy 22 bullets don't fit a 30 Carbine magazine. I decided that I could just run the 5.7 Spitfire reamer in short to be able to use long pointy bullets in the 30 Carbine magazine. The plastic tipped bullets like the Nosler Ballistic Tip give the longest loaded cartridge length, which is limited to 1.69" by the magazine. The cases start at normal 30 Carbine length at 1.28" and by forming and trimming them to 1.15" I can use any bullet I want loaded out near the lands. This gives a case capacity of around 14.8 grains, which is approximately 1.5 grains more than a 22 Hornet. As expected, moderate loads in this configuration slightly exceed the performance of the 22 Hornet. My favorite varminting load is the 40 grain Ballistic tip, and my cheap plinking round is milsurp 55 grain FMJ. I've also had good luck cutting the back ends off of surplus tracer tips to yield a 40gr FMJ.

In concept this cartridge is not too different from the FN 5.7x28mm round, so I could call this one a 5.7x29. Or I could call it a 5.7 Spitfire Short, or maybe a Spitwad for being smaller, but hardly anyone has heard of the Spitfire anyway. For me, it's the Hornet I always wanted and one-ups the K-Hornet, so maybe L-Hornet fits?

So basically it's like a 22 Hornet with a bit more oomph that works well in the numerous 30 Carbine magazines and uses cheap and available reloading components. I'm already building another little bolt action to use these magazines and this round. Pet load is 13gr of W297, pistol primers, and a 40gr plastic tip at around 3200fps from a 20" barrel. When the big guns are cooling down this one gets to play.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldReally neat project. claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for that (out of the box thinking )

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the hornet out so I snapped a side-by-side pic:

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
That is really cool. What action are you going to use for the bolt gun?

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
really cool!
and thanks for confirming the 5.7x28 kinda sorta relationship to a rimless improved hornet

22 Hornet Rimless?
22 Yellowjacket?
22 hornet stinger?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun project. How's it shoot?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....is that correct? 3200 fps with a 40gr out of a 20" barrel......wow! gotta love that....

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The latest is a customized howa mini. The cz527 works too, but requires more cutting. The howas are nice receivers and cheap enough that I don't flinch when cutting on them. I see they're down to the $250 range for a barreled action.

40s and 50s shoot great out to around 300 yards. I have not tried anything heavier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FNH product.

Their loads were rated at 2000fps w/40gr.
I pulled a bunch of those loads for the brass.
Only had 5gr of very fine powder, almost like dust. I loaded the bullets in .223's.

This is a military round and over a dozen varieties of bullets. No doubt at various velocities too.

This is the cartridge that asshole Arab shrink killed the soldiers with several years ago at Waco.

FNH makes both a carbine and pistol to shoot this.

Way back in the early 1950's Ackley tested the .30 carbine necked to .17 cal. Called it: PeeWee. I don't recall reading about it, but, I'd bet he tried the same in .22 cal about the same time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
FNH product.

I think you're talking about the 5.7x28. I'm talking about a wildcat, and for a while I was calling it a 5.7x29 because it's a little bigger than the FNH round. However, "spitwad" seems to be the name that's sticking. This name came from the "spitfire" which is the non-shortened version of the 22-30 Carbine.

Anyway, I got a batch of new brass that I formed, annealed, and loaded up. I think I'm ready to walk some pastures in the spring:

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thats the reason that we play/work with wildcats;just because it interests us.I've gilded the lily many times.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote