Find
Notify
Tools

Ever been wrong about a new cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Have you ever been wrong about the longevity/usefulness of a new cartridge?

I have. I thought the 17 HMR was the stupidest idea ever when it was first introduced. So many of my friends (and clients) were frustrated with accuracy problems of the 22 Mag and the various .17 centerfires, I figured mixing them together was a huge mistake. Boy, was I wrong. As the HMR got popular I gave a few to friends as gifts, but didn’t own one myself until a couple years ago.

Now I hardly ever go to the ranch without one. They are an “off switch” on squirrels and I’m still stunned at the accuracy (even with nonlead bullets). I feel dumb for being so late to the party.

Can anybody else admit to being wrong about the popularity/practicality of a new cartridge?

Posts: 2500 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a grudging to accept the 17 HMR, too. Also the 9mm (vs 45 acp), but no doubt it's a great cartridge.

But for me it was almost the opposite for rifle cartridges: I wanted new magnums, and I was late to accept the goodness of the old standby's--I can't believe how good the 30-06, 270, and 308 are.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
17 Hornet. I thought it was a cartridge for a problem that didn't exist. Now it's my favorite for whacking ground squirrels.

204 Ruger. Another 'why?' when it came out. Now my #2 favorite for whacking small critters at distances a bit far for the 17 H. And there is no doubt about a hit!

Posts: 3267 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I still have no first hand experience with it and may never, I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor would be a sales bust...

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
two come to mind, immediately

the engineer in me just could not warm up to the 22 hornet or the 270, from my place in time. with the 7mm and 9mm *35 caliber* having been praised as the sweet spots for bullet weight and aerodynamics, i thought the 270 was just a dumb idea with the 280/7exp AND the perfect (it is perfect) 7x64 out there .. even though 3/4 of my friends, family, and hunting buddies loved their's. Okay, fine I lucked into a 270 for next to nothing, and it shoots well, very accurate, and about the same recoil .. which goes to show that the 0.007 difference actually means nothing, and the 270 winchester if a fine round.

next up, the 22 hornet - it was a big WHY BOTHER for me!! the 22 mag is 100X more common, ammo was cheaper, and, really, a centerfire 22 tiny?

i couldn't get my head around it, until i was about 30, and started going to a day lease where my good buddy, Bob Daily, was the guide .. he had both a ruger 22 hornet and an amt 22 automag .. which could also be used to start a brush fire! with his cool hand luke, well placed shots could take anything deer sized an down, which is basically only used as finishers for recovering game .. a box of shells would last him 3-4 months, and it wasn't, in the rifle, as obnoxious as a 223, recoil was trivial, and it just worked .. i didn't run out an buy one, but i'd show up with a box of shells for a tip, and we'd go down to the gut pit to see what we could shoot

i am still NOT a fanboy for either, but I accept them as fine carts, in the right circumstances

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38346 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course not!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Quite a few people were wrong about the the 338 Federal -IMHO.

The 338-06 is a better cartridge, and in a controlled round action like the the Winchester pre-64 Model 70-
can't be beat. Of course -I am somewhat biased
having one-- and another M-70 in 35 Whelen-What's not to like?

Posts: 350 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NO, never; I can tell from day one whether a cartridge needs to exist or not.

Posts: 17005 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was only wrong once-------I thought I was wrong, but I wasn't !!!

Hip

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been a few that I thought great ideas that flopped, and also a few that I thought useless that were OK.

Great Idea:
.300 SAUM
6.8 SPC (still like it, but seems to be going away somewhat)
.223 WSSM

Useless:
.375 Ruger (although I still feel the jury is out on it)
6.5 Creedmoor
.300 HAMR (the jury is definitely still out on this)
I also think the newer winchester super mag rimfire is here- but looks like most agree with me...

Posts: 10455 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never buy the koolaide I wait and see, if you jump too soon and the cartridge fails, you end up with a gun and no ammo available, The arms companies could care less..ala years of no 5MM rounds, thanks Remington..and now all the ammo companies are dropping calibers that are slow sellers, do they care about us, not in the least..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched the 375 Ruger for some years now, finally got a great deal on one and bought it about a month ago..Im really impressed with it, light and handy at 7.5 lbs naked and 8.5 scoped, wood and blue, iron sighted haweye..It gets a 100 or so FPS over my Holland, but that's nothing to get excited about, Its a very classic little rifle, workmanlike, I can't find anything about it to complain about..I think its here to stay, like the 338 it earning a reputation and its not a 90 day wonder like so many...I give it an A-plus on all counts..I think its based on a good foundation with a lot of thought to what a good rifle should be..Will it beat the nostalgia of the Holland, who knows, there is room for both.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
And then there are WSM's-short magnums. Not wise. If Winchester
and John Olin had been a bit smarter, they NEVER would have discontinued the pre-64 Model 70.

The WSMs are another bad W-W example IMHO, an idea to sell rifles-but not a good idea as to cartridges. From the 270 to the 300-338 WM and 375 H&H-the field is covered. the 338-06 and 35 Whelen IMP are better than any WSM-would never buy one.

Posts: 350 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is "never trust a bean counter, they are educated idiots that play money figures and never owned a rifle apparently and ate the covers off their books"

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120