New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm ihmsa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use .300 savage brass to form my cases. Does anyone know if I can use 30-30 cases in place of .300 savage? thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: fall river, mass | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 can't be used. You could use .308 win, but would have to trim to length.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buzzard, there is one that is the 7 Int'l, but it is a long necked 7-30, from the 30-30 case. It is also refered to as the 7R. The 7 IHMSA is some times called the 7 Int'l, by mistake or misinformation. I have had both at some time or another. There is a LOT of difference between the two. The 7 IHMSA is some what of a 7-08 improved.

BTW, watch getting verbal or printed data from unknown sources on these two. A fellow IHMSA shooter in well meaning sent me some data for the 7 Int'l that "he" called the 7 IHMSA.

Confused yet? I hope not. I believe I have a Speer manual with both of these in it.

BTW, the 7R or 7 Int'l is a fine shooter. But some what neglected because of the 7-30. The dies are the hard part to find as well as pricey. If you know hammer47, he has one and real likes it.

My 7 IHMSA in an XP is still negelected in the safe. Hope to try and change that this season.
Jeff

Also before I forget, if you use 308 brass you may have to do something about the neck wall thickness. Neck turn or inside ream, with the neck turning being the prefered method.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I did'nt think so but,talked to a shooter at the range who said with some neck modification it would work, figured I would check it out here.

Posts: 29 | Location: fall river, mass | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote