New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .300 Ashurst
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
thanks hockeypuck. Looks like a big chamber all right. Have to see if regular 300 H&H will fit and fireform.
Do you know anything about Ashurst?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some information, but not a lot. I do have the measurements, though.
I hope to be able to get to them soon. Evidently, my PC picked up the Sasser worm and reboots after 2 or 3 minutes. I'm using my wife's PC at the moment while I download eight years of data to CD's in Safe Mode.
Wish me luck!
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try this free tool to remove the Sasser:
http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=148129909

Regards,
Vince

Posts: 16 | Location: Dunakeszi, Hungary | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi again,
I'm back in the land of the living... speaking of PC's, of course. I also had 10 instances of Spyware on my PC, which I managed to get rid of with a quick infusion of $40.00!

A little historical background... Jack Ashurst owned the Ashurst Gun Works of Pasadena, CA, which was the result of his buying out his partner, Lyman McCrea. McCrea sold his share in the company when he joined the military at the outbreak of World War II. This company was taken over by the Kittle Corporation in March 1946. Ashurst moved to Grangeville, ID and continued as a barrelmaker and wildcatter. I haven't been able to track him beyond that.

The .300 Ashurst was variously called the .300 Ashurst, .300 Ashurst Magnum and the .300 Ashurst Super Magnum. The .300 had a 40� shoulder and the .375 Ashurst (developed just prior to 1950) had a 35� shoulder. The .300 Ashurst Super Magnum (that was Ashurst's name for it) developed 3,570 fps with a load of 76-grains of 4350 (I assume IMR) pushing a 150-grain bullet.

Ashurst also developed the .257 Ashurst on a .22 Savage Hi-Power case, the .25 Ashurst Krag on the .30-40 Krag case, the .25-'06 Ashurst on the .30-'06 Springfield case, the .25 Ashurst Magnum on the .300 H&H Magnum case, the .270 Ashurst Magnum on the .300 H&H Magnum case, the 7mm Ashurst Magnum on the .300 H&H Magnum case, the .280 Ashurst Magnum on the .300 H&H Magnum case, as well as the .300 Ashurst Super Magnum and the .375 Ashurst Super Magnum which was on the .375 H&H Magnum case.

The dimensions of the .300 Ashurst Super Magnum are as follows:
Shoulder diameter - 0.488-inches
Shoulder length - 2.387-inches
Neck diameter - 0.336-inches
Neck length - 2.481-inches
Mouth outside diameter - 0.336-inches
Case length - 2.794-inches
Overall cartridge maximum length - 3.600-inches
All other dimensions are the same as the .300 H&H Magnum case.

This data was gleaned from Wildcat Cartridges by Richard Simmons (1947), various American Rifleman magazines from 1940 to 1951 and a single sample cartridge from Richard Simmons collection.

Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TERA

I can say to you that Wildcat that Jack Ahurst approximately conceived it its base on the box of 300 Holland & Holland. Thank you for your information I could test them

Could you give me of another wildcat if you know them

Because I gather the most possible information on Wildcat is I find formidable magner has which described them to you the gauge is dimension to be able to do it. Thank you is good year

BONJOUR DE FRANCE //////////