Find
Notify
Tools

New toy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
My #1 is on it's way from Broadcreek rifles. It is a rebarrelled #1H in .338x74Keith. When I get some shooting time in, I'll post the results. Basically it's a .338win mag. in a flanged case, perfect mate for the Ruger #1.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
That should be a great gun! I have a fondness for #1's, and while not a big 338 fan myself, the Keith round on the ole rimmed case is a classic.

I've been debating building a Ruger #1 into a rimmed version of the 350 Rigby. I don't think the 360 Rigby flanged is that round, but running 375 flanged brass through my 350 Rigby dies, and using a 350 Rigby reamer for the chamber, then cutting the rim recess would make for an interesting single shot.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul,
I thought of coming up w/ something really diff. & using a .375flanged necked down & blown out for a .338. But, reamers, dies, it all adds up & I found that RCBS had dies avail. & Broadcreek had the right reamer, so .338x74k it is. It should be a good elk whacker. Then again, so is my .338-06.
I know you're a 35 guy, your project sounds interesting.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I've lost interest in expensive and complicated custom rounds. The advantage of a 350 flanged for me is I already have dies, and could perhaps beg the loan of a reamer again. Then it would simply be a matter of running 375 flanged brass through the sizer and trimming to length.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote