THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    blowing out 9.3x74 to straight wall case

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blowing out 9.3x74 to straight wall case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted
Does anyone have a load that can be used to completely straighten the 9.3 x 74 case?

I have looked through most of my manuals and called Sierra. Sierra said they had no data - a first for me. I never thought I would hear that from them.

I have blown out many cases before but never to make a straight wall case before. Do you folks have any help for me?

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A straight tapered case on the order of 0.010" taper, a one caliber neck length and 45° shoulder angle will give you about 95 gr H2O.

I don't know if this one has been wildcatted but a reamer is easy enough to make...the ease in chambering depends on what type of rifle you have...single or double break action or ???.

Check with CH4D for a possible "already been done" set of dies, and PTG for a reamer.

This being a wildcat, NO ammo maker will have any reload data to give out...read NASTY LAW SUIT...you will have to do it the old fashioned way but it is very similar in case volume to the 375 FL Mag NE and 375 H&H so that data can be used at STARTING loads.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
NONADONAGIN,

My brother is doing this to make 410 shot shells. This is going to make a straight wall case for a 3" 410 brass case. The base and rim are near perfect but we have to blow the case out.

I am looking for help in a load that will straighten the case out. His 410 has chamber walls over 3/8" thick - like the same gun could be used for 20 gauge or larger.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a guy I know had a DR made chambered with 9.3x74R cases blown out to 416.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see said the blind man to the deaf mute...should have mentioned that in the beginning...good idea.

It shouldn't take much...

I would start with 10 gr Bullseye or any fast burning pistol/shotgun powder...stuff about a 2" square of wadded up blue shop towel down on top and tamp good with a wooden dowel fill with hot cereal like grits or polenta, corn meal etc and top with another wad of towel.

Right out of P.O. Ackley's books.

If 10 gr isn't enough go up a grain at a time until the case gets ironed out well.

I've used this formula for fire forming wildcat cases for umpteen years...last time was to form Hornady 416 Rigby cases into my 510 Makatak wildcat only using ~22 gr of 800X shotgun powder instead of Bullseye.

Do a search for "fire forming" here on AR and online...lots of good info/formulas on this subject.

You could also just load the cases with a lo end load, 1/2 oz load for the 410 with shot and pop something to eat as you form the cases.

I'm NOT recommending you do so, but maybe one round would tell you what's up.

Luck

Make sure there are no obstructions in the barrel and expect the smell of breakfast to waft by... lol Wink Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Boom's version...
Have a smooth or 1 in 12 twist 410 barrel and chamber for 410 2.5" shells. Then run a .410" neck/throat pilot to correct brass length. What you have is a 410 2.5" slug gun(rifled barrel) / two stage forcing cone shotgun (smooth bore)and a 3" Nitro express powered gun able to do 400 @ 2100 if my estimation is right with the right loads.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy

wouldn't this be the companion case to your 404/375 straight?

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like the necked up 375 flanged to .423" better. More taper. If a straight case is desired to be used for a shotgun my above idea to .410 is better IMHO although my idea of the 444x74 (.430" straight cased 9,3x74) is pretty cool to me.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't it be easier to just buy the BASIC 40-3 1/4 brass?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote