New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 RUM...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody shooting one, either the FL RUM, probably using the 7mn RUM, or the .338 RUM necked down?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes just started the 6.5SAUM. Not the full length RUM

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, let us know what you find for velocity...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 6.5 BADGER. I had PTG do my reamer. I based it off of a .338 Ultra Magnum case. Blown out with a 40 degree shoulder and min case taper. Launching 160gr Matrix VLD's with a real world BC of .685 at 3400 fps.

From left to right.

.338 RUM case
6.5 Badger/ 160gr Matrix VLD
.375 BME/ 350gr Sierra Match King
6.5-284 Win case

Side by side with the 450 Ultra Magnum Smiler

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of round count are you expecting with that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just plain old W-O-W!!!

what did you use for an action, and barrel?

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
When I get around to it, I'm going to chamber a barrel on a Rem700 action. I used a Savage action and Black Hole Weaponry barrel to do my load testing , load development and brass forming so I didn't put a bunch of rounds on my Rem700 build. Benchmark barrels will build the final rifle.

I use the same Savage set up to test and develop all my new wildcats. I'm a Black Hole Weaponry dealer and get my test barrels and chambering at a cut rate. Once everything is worked out I then chamber up a premium barrel of my choice and they last quite a bit longer due to the fact most of the kinks are worked out load wise and brass is formed. Every barrel is different but it keeps the mileage quite a bit lower on the final builds barrel.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Now that's a laser right there.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smack,

you have my undivided attention. Since I have a 112-BV-SS sitting out in the gunroom in 7STW, this is a bit of overlap. But, that is one of life's small pleasures.

thanks,

Rich

check your PM's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS,
My buddy shoots a FL 6.5 RUM and calls it "The Undertaker".
I know it's not his "plinker" rifle since he knows the round count for barrel life would be on the scant side and he has a "few" others from which to choose.
I'll see what he's getting for speed and report back to you.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,

check your PM's.

thanks,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smack,

I'd be interested in having one built with your reamers if you have a good local guy you trust do it.

thanks,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smack,

are you there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5 RUM encore barrel. 29" barrel and was getting over 3600fps with 120 barnes. Probably could have done more.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be fun...