Find
Notify
Tools

30 caliber "super-sized" PPC ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
SmilerHas anyone heard of or tried a 30 caliber variant of the 6MM PPC (or 6MM BR Rem) that keeps the proportions the same? Since it's an inherently accurate round, albeit underpowered for larger game animals, could the accuracy benefits be obtained in a 30 caliber that could shoot 150 grain bullets at the same velocity the 6PPC shoots it's 70 grainers?

I would guess the shape of the case has a lot to do with accuracy, and wonder if there's not an opportunity out there for a really, really accurate hunting/target cartridge.

I'n not talking about necking these up. Rather, say the OAL would be 1.93", base .57" in diameter, and the neck .338".

How nuts am I? beer

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A smith from York Pa, Bob Green is. He is shortening a 300wsm case. He built 5 of the top 50 rifles in the Super Shoot. So he knows about accuracy gunsmithing. I do not know how far it made it. He was playing with it in 04

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The cartridge dimensions could well be very close to be proportionate to the 6PPC.

Thanks!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi guys
i posted this one earlier but willl do so again cause it is close to this
our local gunsmith is taking a 25wssm shortening the case to 1.4 inches overall length
swelling to 30 caliber
making barrels for tc encore and also rebarreling the savage striker for it.
2150 fps in tc and 2800 in striker
very accurate
will try and scan ballistic sheet from custom ammo and post here
he built it to be legal here for handgun deer season
fog

one of us
posted Hide Post
HT

This has been done many times and not just in 30 caliber. Some have worked and some have not. 30 caliber cartridges shooting 150 grain bullets are quite common in Hunter Class benchrest but the ones based on scaled up PPC or BR dimensions have never caught on because they are no more accurate than the plain vanilla 308W or shorter versions thereof. I don't think there's anything "inherently accurate" about the shape of the PPC case. Simply scaling it up to a 30 caliber is one of those things that seem like a good idea at the time but seldom if ever result in an improvement that equals the labor involved in making the brass. Most truly accurate rifles are the product of a good barrel, good bullets and good shooting. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30 cal. PPC and BR cartridges never caught on in Hunter Class because they don't satisfy the case capacity requirements. The 30 BR, on the other hand, is currently the ruling cartridge in IBS score shooting. Legal in all classes except Hunter, it is stirring things up big time in score shooting. It is interesting to note that the current IBS, Heavy Varmint 100 yd score record is 250-25X with 19 wipeouts. Shot with a 6 PPC.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The leading cal now in the Varmit For Score is the 30br using BIB 118 gr bullet.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
The 30 cal. PPC and BR cartridges never caught on in Hunter Class because they don't satisfy the case capacity requirements.

Eddie

In my post I was referring to the scaled up PPC and BR cartridges such as the 30 MYER and 30 FAT ALBERT. They do meet the capacity requirements.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i thought the ppc cartridge was based on the 22 russian which is based on the 7.62x39 - so what about a 30PPC is different from a 7.62x39??

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchloc

Shoulder angle, diameter at shoulder, primer size, quality of brass.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how proportionate it is compared to the PPC, but Mike Palazzo came up with a shortened .338Lapua and necked it down, blew out the shoulder and called it a .300Gonzo.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5 Grendel

Its sort of a large PPC case, made by laupa.

You could try to neck it up..

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote