New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Ruger Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the .338 has been the 35s death song from birth...I can't bring myself to rebarrel any of my 338 Win. or my 375 Ruger..as much as I like the idea, nothing to gain and I suspect that's the way it will all come out in the wash except for the avid handloader..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 358 STA to sell if anyone is interested. Built on a Winchester Model 70 action 26.5 inch barrel. Well built. Dies and about 80 hand loads included. PM me for pictures. $950 or best. Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prpbably just buy a 358 Norma, can't see any reason for a wildcat or factory job on the Ruger case, but it would be a good caliber Im sure..but the Norma about maxes out a 35 cal IMO, and all this internet subject defeats the reason I love the .338 win, and since I have two of those, I remove my opine from the subject based on prejudice..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Hi, my name is Phil and I am a gunaholic. But it doesn't look like this is much of a self help group.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never shot a 358 Norma, not even at a target, but Ive seen PG, DG and elk shot with it, I guess id be safe in saying as far as I could tell it killed all that stuff as well as or better than my .338 Win or my 375 H&H...I always said someday I will own one of those, but probably not, the older I get the better I like my 30-06 as will the great majority of you folks! wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was hoping that the next 35 caliber round the gun industry would offer us would be the 358 Ruger Magnum. Instead, we got the 350 Legend....(sigh). Confused

Not saying the 'Legend' isn't a good round. Just a bit underpowered for what I was hoping!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Egads! This meeting of the minds just developed a 358 Chatfield Taylor, Ole Chat did have a way about him when it came to wildcats!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
This week I have a new guide showing up to hunt with me. Marty Meierotto, of the mountain man show, has been a long time friend and worked as a packer many years ago. He is coming to help me this spring bear season and I am betting "Bone Crusher" his 358 Norma will be with him

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice, and my kind of guy!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
This week I have a new guide showing up to hunt with me. Marty Meierotto, of the mountain man show, has been a long time friend and worked as a packer many years ago. He is coming to help me this spring bear season and I am betting "Bone Crusher" his 358 Norma will be with him

I watch his YouTube show. Please, film something?

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote