New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a 6.5X55AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend is considering this, not for extra velocity. He was told the shoulder angle on the Ackley would increase the throat life.
Anybody have knowledge of this?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No a ackley improved may affect case life but not throat life. Necksizing a regular 6,5*55 does also improve case life without the need to use a wildcat.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
A friend is considering this, not for extra velocity. He was told the shoulder angle on the Ackley would increase the throat life.
Anybody have knowledge of this?

I remember reading an article about this but I can't seem to locate it now. What I remember was the author claimed that cartridges with sloping shoulders directed powder gasses and unburnt powder at the angle of the shoulder and much of it would hit the barrel in front of the case mouth and erode the barrel throat. The author also claimed that cases with sharp shoulders like most Ackley Imp cases with a 40 deg shoulder tended to hold the powder in the case until it burnt completely and with the 40 deg shoulder angle the powder gasses and any unburnt powder would be directed at the inside of the case neck and therefor be considerably easier on the barrels throat.I don't remember much more about the claimed evidence that was in the article.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kinda the advice that I'm receiving. Longer brass life and maybe a little more throat life. My buddy has both reamers and I will get a barrel over the Atlantic to him in July. The decision will remain with him.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
What snowman said X2. When I size my cases (that I am using in the same rifle) I strictly neck size only.I tend to think that it increases case life but not necassarily neck life.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is going non ackley and will cut the tenon off and rechamber it in the ackley down the road. He can do his own chambering.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well Butch,that's why they make Fords + Chevys;everyone has a pet calibre. I will admit that the 6.5x55 Swede is a damn fine round.I however have been taken with the 6.5x54 M/S for many years. I like the performance + history.But that's just me. BTW,when your friend does go to a AI config. he will most likely not get more than a 100 fps in MV. Just a thought if it is worth the money.Now when I did my 7x57 + 257 Roberts,that was a different story + calibre obviously.Although the increased MV is relatively the same in all these calibres,the KO factor in the 7x57 + 257 I find superior.Only my opinion......+ P.O. Ackleys.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote