New
Find
Notify
Tools

the 280 British
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what can you guy's tell me about this one.
I just picked up a barrel for a savage small ring and the other goodies for the round.
I have one Load.

but any details, history, or story's would be appreciated.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old IMHO it was a great idea. SADLY!!!
Frowner It suffered from the not invented here syndrome. 2020roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow quite a bit of history there.
this should be a fun one to play with.
thanks guys.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l'm lead to believe that Lewis Potter (an English Gunsmith) tried to popularise it here as a woodland stalking round.
lt's just another itch that keeps coming back needing to be scratched....

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it ironic that 'todays' army is searching and searching for this round when they could have had it from day one.

as a woods round it would be a notch above the 7-30 waters and a notch below the 7-08.
really good for the woods or for stretching things across a 200yd opening on deer.

I'm seeing me using this as a longer range rock chuck rifle pushing 100gr bullets up just over 2700 fps.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
bartsche,I agree.the American hunters/shooters have had an aversion to metric calibres for several generations,more's the pity.I had a Martini several years ago that had already been chambered in 303. So I looked in Parkers book + found that the Aussies were doing great things w/ a 25/303. Since dies for that calibre were not available stateside I opted to build a 25/Krag,same rim base so no bolt face alterations + performance was the same, so of course I had to gild the lily + make it a AI. Just one more project that piqued my interest but had no real use in reality,I suppose.Except it pleased me,+ that's it's real use.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
what can you guy's tell me about this one.
I just picked up a barrel for a savage small ring and the other goodies for the round.
I have one Load.

but any details, history, or story's would be appreciated.

What are you using for dies and a reamer?

Did you ever make it?

Get Close and Wack'em Hard