The Accurate Reloading Forums
the 280 British

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/1441051942

12 January 2019, 23:03
Lamar
the 280 British
what can you guy's tell me about this one.
I just picked up a barrel for a savage small ring and the other goodies for the round.
I have one Load.

but any details, history, or story's would be appreciated.
13 January 2019, 07:59
craigster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_British

Pretty much covers it.
16 January 2019, 07:50
bartsche
old IMHO it was a great idea. SADLY!!!
Frowner It suffered from the not invented here syndrome. 2020roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
19 January 2019, 10:22
Lamar
wow quite a bit of history there.
this should be a fun one to play with.
thanks guys.
19 January 2019, 23:42
Ratwhiskers
l'm lead to believe that Lewis Potter (an English Gunsmith) tried to popularise it here as a woodland stalking round.
lt's just another itch that keeps coming back needing to be scratched....
22 January 2019, 08:43
Lamar
I find it ironic that 'todays' army is searching and searching for this round when they could have had it from day one.

as a woods round it would be a notch above the 7-30 waters and a notch below the 7-08.
really good for the woods or for stretching things across a 200yd opening on deer.

I'm seeing me using this as a longer range rock chuck rifle pushing 100gr bullets up just over 2700 fps.
22 January 2019, 09:06
NormanConquest
bartsche,I agree.the American hunters/shooters have had an aversion to metric calibres for several generations,more's the pity.I had a Martini several years ago that had already been chambered in 303. So I looked in Parkers book + found that the Aussies were doing great things w/ a 25/303. Since dies for that calibre were not available stateside I opted to build a 25/Krag,same rim base so no bolt face alterations + performance was the same, so of course I had to gild the lily + make it a AI. Just one more project that piqued my interest but had no real use in reality,I suppose.Except it pleased me,+ that's it's real use.

Never mistake motion for action.
28 March 2020, 23:38
MoreBS
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
what can you guy's tell me about this one.
I just picked up a barrel for a savage small ring and the other goodies for the round.
I have one Load.

but any details, history, or story's would be appreciated.

What are you using for dies and a reamer?

Did you ever make it?

Get Close and Wack'em Hard