Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The finnish reamer specs were wrong. It is being corrected.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
How is this different from the 585 Belted Hubel ??

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
About .200"
Ed wants a longer version for the PH action. The 577 BME was designed to be 3" to pay homage to the 577 NE and fit in more readily avaliable actions like the CZ 550 and Ruger actions but will do just as well in the PH.

Rich has the first one.

Ed with his expertise helped make this happen.

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 585 Hubel has the same OAL as the 505 gibbs. It also has the same head diameter as the 505 gibbs. The diameter just forward of the belt of the 585 is also the same as the head of the Gibbs. I have a sample 585 from Ed.

So, technically, the 585 is rebated, but only slightly. I am not sure rebate is the word. its more like the belt was glued on a gibbs case - conceptually.

The result, and Ed has assured me this is true, the 585HE will work in any action that handles the 505 gibbs. That is a sweet spot. CZ550 is no problem.

The actual difference is Ed case is 0.25 longer than BME and has standard body taper. The head diameter is the SAME. Ed 585 belt is larger as is the diameter forward of the belt. The BME case body taper is reduced almost zero. Ideally, Ed would have set his case to 3" and we would have a practical powder capacity with his superior design features. As it stands we could say we are paying homage to the 577 3 1/4 case (instead of the 3" case of the BME) and have a little extra capacity for the bigger is better crowd. I dont see any big problem in the extra 1/4 inch.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 577 BME is made from Gibbs brass.
The 585 HE is a new case and is going to need a custom brass run and I wish you and him success on that. Ed can make you cases for it from swaging down a larger case.

Both will do whatever you want and more and I wish you luck on the 585 HE

Ed has done a lot to help out those in the Big Bores including me and the 577BME.

Design wise the 585 is better. If you want to use Gibbs brass than the 577BME is an option.