New
Find
Notify
Tools

.290 wild cats.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some one asked me if their were any .290 caliber.

I said beats me so I am asking you guys.

Are there 290 caliber wildcats.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles Askins .... maybe. I think he did just because there was no 29 cal. He swaged down .308 bullets.
I also may be remembering it wrong!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness did an article on a 29 caliber wildcat, called the B-29. The article was the April issue of Handloader or Rifle, some years back.
It got the attention of a lot of readers..

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaytod:
John Barsness did an article on a 29 caliber wildcat, called the B-29. The article was the April issue of Handloader or Rifle, some years back.
It got the attention of a lot of readers..

rotflmo

Yup, all satire, with no actual 29 caliber round, if I recall correctly.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, satire. As an April 1st joke.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As I have said before; every time I came with a new cartridge idea that was neater than sliced bread I would pick up my P.O. Ackley books + find out he did it 30 years before. Satire or not I see no use for a 29 cal. 28 + 30 will do everything you need.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there is, however, a .49 caliber -- you can order them from McGowen - I own the tooling, and this is no joke.. not a single measurement starts with a 0.5 ... 0.498 grooves, 0.490 bore ... and yeah, it works

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the early '80s we made reamers and bullet swaging dies at Clymer for the 290 DuBiel. Joe Dubiel and Charles Askins Jr. teamed up on this one; don't remember if I ever saw it in print.

Dave Manson

Posts: 684 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Askins wrote it up in the American Rifleman. I know I read it somewhere. Done mostly just to get an article out of doing it.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I went to a steel shoot back in September, there was a guy there shooting what he called a .296 magnum.
Bore diameter .290 groove diameter .296
This guy makes his own bullets by ordering .308 J4 jackets from corbin then swages them to .296. After the lead core is in he forms a bullet nose that looks a lot like a Berger VLD.
His finished bullet came in at 203 grains with a claimed G7 BC at 330 .

He was using the 300 wsm cases, nothing fancy just run of the mill Winchester brass.
This guy finished 3rd out of 40 shooters.
The rifle was based on an Impact precision action, McGowan barrel, KRG chassis, Jewell trigger, Burris scope.

The guy that won the match shot a 6mm creedmoor on Rem. 700, Shilen barrel, McMillan, Knight force.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote