THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Looks like we need to start this one off....17 Ackley Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks like we need to start this one off....17 Ackley Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to find a Cooper in .17 Ackley Hornet, but having a rough time locating.

Any of you fellas out there got any thoughts on this neat little cartridge?

I picked up some new RCBS dies off Graf's that were on closeout, so I am ready to start forming to get ready for the arrival of the rifle!

Any suggestions on fireforming loads? With a bullet of with a wad? I'm looking to pick up Todd's manual, but are there any other sources out there?

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,

You may already have tried them, but The Outdoorsman in Kingsley, PA is a big Cooper Arms dealer; if they don't have it, they can probably get it. They even had lefthand Coopers which is where I bought mine (Varminter in .17 Mach IV).

Their number is 570-222-3390; either Tom or Lloyd can help you.

Check out Coyote Gods and Small Caliber forum for data and leads on rifles.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,

Have talked to the Outdoorsman...he isn't expecting any for 2-3 months.

I frequent the Small Caliber Forum and they have pointed me in several directions, but have come up empty handed...missed one the other day by 10 mins. [Mad] Its been a while since I was at the CoyoteGods...will look there!

The search continues!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Have you considered having one of the CZ 22 hornets re-barreled?

I've been debating getting a 17 HRM for my contender, and when the novelty of factory ammo wears off, poking it out to a 17 hornet of some flavor or other.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,

I'm sorry none of my leads panned out. I am going to get one of Browning LH Micro-Medallions in .22 Hornet and re-barrel to .17 AH.

Paul,

Keep the twist rates in mind; the HMR may have the wrong twist for a centerfire .17.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I am not considering one of the CZ's for this rifle. I don't have any personal experience with the CZ's, but the word on them around here is very good, so they do interest me for a future project. But, the 17 AH in a Cooper has been my biggest firearm goal for almost eight years now, and if I have to wait a little longer to get exactly what I want, then a little longer won't hurt that much! But, thanks for the suggestion.

I will continue to make those phone calls!

George,

I think those little Brownings are sweet little rifles, and that should be an excellent route! I have looked at several ways to get into the 17AH...Ruger, Browning, etc and rebarreling. But, the Cooper in this little buggar has been the combo that has made me almost insane for so long, that it is the only way I can go, now!

[ 03-13-2003, 19:14: Message edited by: Trapdoor ]