Find
Notify
Tools

400 whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted
i have a sporterized 98 mauser in 8x57 and next year i'm either going to rebore or rebarrel to the 400 whelen. (read https://web.archive.org/web/20101203...pace_myth.htm# to headspace it). i was going to do the 375 whelen but i already have a 9.3x57(.366"). and i can say that 4-something something!

since 150 lbs whitetails will be its main course, i'll only go 1600-1800fps in 350-400gr fn gc. i hunt in close cover, so 60+ yards is a loooong shot, 25-35 yards is more likely.

1944 98 mauser 8x57mm

i've been thinking of taking it to JES(i like that peep sight) but i might rebarrel it to 24"(it has a 22" barrel). i doubt that extra 2" is a make or break situation, but i like the 24" over the 22". the 98 mauser NEEDS a timney trigger and i'll go with richard's stock( Richards Microfit Gunstocks ), it will be a wolverine style and either a blue coral or black walnut stock.

i doubt highly that i'll get the chance to hunt elk or moose, but my sons' might and i'll just happen to have a rifle that they can use....it sounds good, don't it!!!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Look at my 411 Steyr post. This is simple to make and has a shoulder. The 238 grain X bullet should make great deer load. Not sure how fast they will fly.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 400 Whelen G&H version I chamber has very adequate shoulder and there are no problems. Brass is easy to make and it is easy to load; overall, no issues.
And I doubt if anyone will rebore a military barrel due to the small muzzle. Not sure, anyway, I would install a new barrel; you get a modern chrome moly barrel of far better quality than a surplus military one.
Also, what you are shooting at is immaterial; what you are shooting is; in that it has to be unique and interesting, and something no one else in your party will be using. So go for the 400.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
http://www.finegunmaking.com/p...3/page51/page51.html
http://www.finegunmaking.com/p...3/page52/page52.html
https://www.qual-cart.com/400%20cal.htm

this is what i want.

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is the G&H chamber (.458 shoulder). It solved any issue of too small a shoulder.
You just expand your 30-06 necks to the .458 dimensions and them size them as normal. I include a special neck expander with each one I barrel.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Who makes the dies for this?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ch4D; I have and use a set of them, as do the guys who get my barrels. They are the only ones that make the correct dies, as far as I know.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
They have several,

400 Brown Whelen
400 Whelen
400 Whelen Improved 24
400 Whelen Improved 28
400 Whelen Improved 30
400 Whelen Improved 40

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use only the G&H version, and the Manson reamer I use matches those CH4D dies. The Improved versions gain nothing. The G&H version is already improved.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
CH4D does not show a 400 G&H die, can you look and see what yours says?

The 400 Brown Whelen from PT&G has a .461" shoulder with a 35 degree shoulder. [info]

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Marked on the sizing die; CH 4OO WHELEN G&H.
Call them and they will sell you the right dies. Do not trust what is on anyone's web site.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
dpcd, Thank You for looking!

What is the shoulder angle and diameter of your Manson reamer?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Reamer is ground to accommodate the .458 diameter ammo shoulder; plenty for good headspacing. Angle is the same as a 30-06 I think. Call CH and they will tell you. It it is the G&H version; reamer and dies, match.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Tdoyka,

What are you going to use for brass?

OOPs, I just saw your link to Qual-cart.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just use 30-06 brass. No need to buy anything special. That is the forte of Whelen's wildcats.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I just use 30-06 brass. No need to buy anything special. That is the forte of Whelen's wildcats.

What is the finished length of your brass?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Long enough. I'll dig some out and measure them. Most of mine are made from LC NM brass.
The cartridge was developed with forming brass from 30-06 as the only way; there was no dedicated 400, or cylindrical brass, in 1920.
It's very easy, I provide three stages of expander plugs with each barrel I sell; .338, 375, and .458; then you FL size back down to form the neck and new shoulder. If you don't first expand the shoulder area, you don't get the proper OD for it.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cartridge was developed with forming brass from 30-06 as the only way; there was no dedicated 400, or cylindrical brass, in 1920.

OK, but why are the reamers made for 2.500" brass?
That is why I was wondering the length of the brass you use. My LC brass starts at 2.485", it is going to get shorter when blown out.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My brass is 2.44 long. Never needs trimming. Does not hurt anything. I will not argue with the success of the 400 for the past 90 years, nor will I challenge the success of all the shooters who use 30-06 brass in them. Including me.
You are free to whatever brass you want. My point, backed up by decades of complete satisfaction, is that it works. No special brass needed.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My brass is 2.44 long. Never needs trimming. Does not hurt anything. I will not argue with the success of the 400 for the past 90 years, nor will I challenge the success of all the shooters who use 30-06 brass in them. Including me.
You are free to whatever brass you want. My point, backed up by decades of complete satisfaction, is that it works. No special brass needed.

Thank You!

Just ran some LC 72 thru my 44-06 stub. COW blows them out to a .456 shoulder. A .431 gage pin slides into the mouth, and they measure 2.455" for length.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in your 400 Whelen work DPCD. It sounds like some of Mike Petrov's work. May have an action available soon. What is your current contact info? By PM? Be Well.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have literally bushels of actions.
Yes, PM me.