Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Data 68 in .358X.404 IMP.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
cheersI've always considered a max. load in this cartridge to be 92gr. ACC 4350 ,WLRM, behind a 250gr. bullet at 3100fps. This is bench mark info.

All loads were Norma cases, WLRM primers and 91 gr. of Accurate 86.
  • 200gr. RNw/c,crimped , mild, a little soot, just a little unburned powder.2775 to 2815 fps. % shot 1 1/4" group 50 yds.
  • 225 SPBT, Sierra, Spitzer2710 to 2761 fps. primer a little flat on one. a little unburned powder, 5 shot 1 1/4" group.
  • 225gr. Balistic Tip, Nosler, a little unburned powder, 2722 to 2804fps. 1 1/4" 5 shot group.
  • 250gr.FP Winchester, oal=3.510, 2718 to 2754fps very little unburned powder.3 shot 3/8" group 5 shots about 1"

ergo; this powder in all cartridges so far has been slower burning than any of the 4350s and might approach the burn rate of Accurate 3100. It has also achieved accuracy levels equal to the 4350s.I'm convinced that with a full charge of Acc.86 the 250gr. bullet could have been safely pushed faster than the 3100 fps.

The question than is what in the hell do you do with it and who wants or needs it? You got any taste for this Bawana? mgunroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Big Grin
    What you do is you shoot damn near anything on this planet, Roger!
    Anyone that has or has wanted a 340 or 375 Wby, or a 338 or 375 RUM will be able to answer that one. I would allow that it is a specialized weapon to a degree, and that it might just be too much pain to go through to down a whitetail, but for elk, moose, caribou, bear - anything you might only see once and might have less than a perfect shot at - it doesn't get much better for those that can shoot it. And if you have a little recoil-junky in you like I do, iot's just the ticket!
    I apologize again for being so slack sending you load data. I moved the fam from OR to CO late Nov and all my papers are everywhere.
    I've only toyed with the 250's, Nosler and Barnes X. Got the Nosler over 3200 comfortably with RL19, but the X didn't want to go much past 3k with RL19 or 22 and I believe I tried a bit of H4350.
    I'm mostly zeroing in on my 280g A-Frame load, tweaking for accuracy. It's a 26" bbl, mind you, but 92.5g or thereabouts of RL22 gets me a bit over 2900 fps (which is a bit more than I want, actually.) I've shot some nice groups with it, so I do believe this is a good powder for it. The Noslers didn't group so well. I have a hunch they might tighten up if I red-lined it, but part of the reason for this fat case was so as to NOT need to redline it. I would like a good 250 NPT load 3150fps, maybe a 270g North Fork at around 2950fps but I have yet to even lay hand on those.
    This is just me, but I don't think I need a bullet going over 2900 fps. A case this big wants a big bullet, so I'm more inclined toward the 270-280's. Soon as I get my swaging act together I'll let you know what some 300-310 grainers will do. I do enjoy those Lee 190's at 2300fps, but the spread is something close to 100 fps! Not that I've worked all that hard at it; might be a good load in there somewhere, but it's really like towing a trailer behind a racecar: there are better tools for that job....
    (And thanks for the "kids" pics. Very cute!)

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bwana-be:
    Big Grin
    What you do is you shoot damn near anything on this planet, Roger!
    This is just me, but I don't think I need a bullet going over 2900 fps. A case this big wants a big bullet, so I'm more inclined toward the 270-280's. Soon as I get my swaging act together I'll let you know what some 300-310 grainers will do.

Absoluty agree. Of some interest ,I've found that even with WLRM primers I get delaid ignition particularly with WCC844, and at times with Accurate 4064 in the .358X.404 IMP. I refere to jacketed bullets only. Makes me wonder if cases this size or larger are getting a strong enough ignition. Any knowledge or feeling for this? ANYONE? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I've only gotten delayed ignition once, and that was with a very low charge (~50g Retumbo?) and a bunch of toilet paper. [For those that aren't familiar, this is an 85-90g charge case, like RUM.)
    Delayed ignition always spooks the hell out of me. I don't see it enough to be prepared for it, but whenever the trigger doesn't make a boom, my dad taught me long ago to just hold still. Talk about your surprise break! I had some 45/70 loads that were doing that, some 3 out of 10, but went back and tossed the primers. End of story.
    When not abusing the case, and using mag primers, I haven't seen an issue. But I haven't used either of those powders.
    Another possibility would be a weak firing pin spring. Do you think a primer is either ignited or not, or can it be hit just enough to get going, but still need a half-second?

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bwana-be:
    Another possibility would be a weak firing pin spring. Do you think a primer is either ignited or not, or can it be hit just enough to get going, but still need a half-second?

Same primers , different powdes never happens. The fireing pin indentations are great. Was also getting it with WCC846 till I switched to WLRM from wlr.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    You can take this FWIW to you but I have used 8 gr.of 700x on the primer and then wc867. This has never produced a hangfire. I have shot a 35/404 imp. for 25+ yr. and still have original brass(some of them)Vel. with the Northforks is about 3000 with good accuracy. I am going to use the same idea with 35/416 if I ever get it finished. Good moose killer. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    35404, you mean 35-416 Rigby?
    8g seems like a very tiny amount of powder to keep close to the primer, especially among the bustle of a hunt. But if it works for you....
    I'd like to see the dims of your round if you know them offhand. If yours and mine and Roger's are close enough, we might could pool together some general data for an entry on AR's reloading pages. (Mine's .542"-.530" at the shoulder, 2.4" body, 35* shoulder and .350" neck, 2.85" case, throated for 280g A-Frame at 3.60".)
    By "vel w/NF is about 3k" I assume you're talking 250's right? Do indeed sound like a good moose killer. If you're interested in sharing, I'd like to hear what other bullets/powders you'ev used in 25 years....

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I should have been more clear. All loads with wc867 are compressed. The 700x may indeed move but not far. I would have to measure as I haven't had a drawing of the 35404 around for awhile. Three of us went together on this project in 1979. Mine is a p14, the other 2 were #1's. I didn't do a lot of load work as at that time brass was expensive and hard to find. Good 35 cal. bullets were scarce as well. Sometime in the 80's we got a shipment of bullets from A Square. These were good. I carried this 35404 for more than a few moose trips and a brown bear trip. It looks like it's been thru a war.
    The 35/416 is a Rigby case. We pushed the shoulder ahead and out a bit as the neck is pretty long for 35. Prob be similar to 378Wby. The drawings for this are in my computer here at home. This is a p14 as well. I don't have a reason for this cartridge but it sure looks neat.
    I will mic some dimensions from the 35404 and pm them to you. Won't be till later on Mon. I look forward to comparing notes. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    B'wb, I sent you a pm. Cases are similar though not exact. Mark

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 35404:
    B'wb, I sent you a pm. Cases are similar though not exact. Mark

Golly 35404, you're making me feel like chopped liver. Please send me the info also. Frownerroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roger,I should have shut up,didn't realize this was a new deal. We didn't do much load work with the 35404 as brass was hard to come by here in Canada. I have some loads with 4831,4350 and wc867, as well as win785 which is not available here anymore.I'm supposed to be doing year end books so we can leave for San Diego tomorrow but I will send you all of this stuff when I return. I do remember getting over 3100 with a Barnes bullet (250) but poor accuracy. The best load with todays stuff is the NF250 with 215 primers,8gr. 700x then 88gr.867 Produced 3040fs, and sd of 20.I will contact you on return. Hope you have some better loads worked up by then. Mark

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Mark.
    Roger, his looks to be right in between yours and mine (assuming similar COL.) And yours and mine are peas in a pod.