New
Find
Notify
Tools

air rifle suggestion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for an air rifle to shoot prairie dogs. What kind and what would be the effective range. pro's-cons for cartridge versus hand pump

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
your question is a bit unclear. by cartridge guns do you mean those that are pre-charged pneumatics? and by pump guns do you mean those multi-pump guns like the Crossman/Benjamin models? there is no comparison between PCP rifles and pump up rifles beyond about 35 yards as far is accuracy and power level.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I meant PCP gun and by pump gun I meant like a Gammo air Rifle that you have to hand cock without a cartridge. Any suggestions on a pcp rifle?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
budget is everything in a PCP rifle. they range from $500 to $3000+. before considering a PCP, be sure you have a way to fill the cylinder- a hand pump, scuba tank, compressor, or SCBA tank( fireman's bottle). the filling apparatus alone will generally be well over $500 unless you buy a used scuba tank and have a local scuba shop to fill it. a good hand pump is AT Least $350....i wouldn't have a Gamo if it was given to me. grossly over inflated power figures and the accuracy of a sling shot unless you get lucky...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a springer. Same type design as the Gamo. The takes a heck of a lot of practice to get good as shooting them. You need to forget everything you ever knew about shooting.
Benjamin makes a couple pcp in the $500-600 range that have good reviews.
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Ai...ic_PCP/155/brands_31

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote