THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    22 air rifle velocity question

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 air rifle velocity question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have purchased recently a 22 Ruger air rifle from midway. the advertised velocities were 1000f/s for the light pellets and 800f/s for regular pellets.

I did chronograph it yesterday using the regular pellets weighing 14.3g for a 5 shot average velocity of 720f/s and the heavier pellets 15.34g for a 5 shot average velocity of 672f/s. That is 80f/s for the regular weight and 128f/s for the heavier pellets slower than the advertised velocities.

Is that considered a normal velocities for the 22 air rifles? and what is it with these companies that they always over rate the velocities of their products and BS the public.

That is plain lying and miss representation, worse than our politicians.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did Also chronograph my .17 Remington Air rifle which is rated for 1200f/s for light weight pellets and 1000f/s for the regular weight pellets and the results using the 7.4g Crosman hunting pellets are going at, 943f/s for a 5 shot average.

again that is 57f/s short of the advertised velocities.

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the velocities advertised for springers in general and Chinese springers in particular are a joke. they can't be duplicated because they are all pie in the sky bullshit.....the only thing worse than their velocity claims is their accuracy beyond maybe 25-30 yards. for everyone who claims their rifle shoots 1/2' groups at 35 yards, there will be 100 who shoot 1 1/2' at that distance.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not only the chines that misrepresent their velocity or accuracy claims but also the companies that order these products according to their own specs then sells and advertise them under their name.
It is a trend in the shooting industry, be it the ammo companies that over exaggerated and advertise the of their ammo, to the loading manuals that most of the bullet manufacturers put out.

I have only found two bullet manufacturers Loading manuals among all the others that their advertised velocities match, or came close to the real chronographed velocities that I obtained. those are Speer and Barnes and the rest do BS us.

I expected Nosler to be honest about their advertised velocities but they are the worse offenders they usually run more than 100f/s than the real cronographed velocities. I Don't want to be miss understood I do like their bullets and use them but I hate their misrepresentation.

Now don't tell me that my chronograph need calibrating, other wise how come Speer and Barns are right on the money?

Best regards

Malek

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have found most air rifles, Chinese and European, to be 10-15 percent below advertised velocities. I think El Gamo is the worst offender as they tend to make people think those high velocities they claim are with normal lead pellets instead of their little alloy flyweights.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this is the type of deception that I am talking about which I despise. The lack of complaining on the public part and the lack of accurate reporting on the gun writers part is allowing these companies to get away with such misrepresentation. why these companies are not shamed into being honest with the shooters.

The same holds true with our politicians.

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
malek, I agree that it is dishonest and bizarre. As if there were some sort of magic effect that resulted once four figures of velocity was achieved.

My RWS Diana 34 is advertised for 1,000 fps muzzle velocity with "normal" .177" pellets of 8.3 grains or so.

I get around 835-850 fps of actual, chronographed MV with such pellets.

I think they feel that they must inflate the advertised MVs of their rifles because they fear that if they don't, the uninformed will buy the rifles of their competitors, with the same or even higher inflated advertised MVs!

My RWS 34 works just fine on targets and varmints, BTW, even at a pitiful 800+ fps! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shot at 10' from chronograph
Model 1322
Crosman Pellet Jumbo
# Pumps Velocity (fps) # Pumps Velocity (fps)

1 152.4 8 321
2 232.8
3 271.3
4 316.4
5 352.3
6 376.5
8 412.1
10 438.9

Benjamin 392PA
Crosman Pellet Jumbo
# Pumps Velocity (fps) # Pumps Velocity (fps)

1 273.2 8 515.6
2 389.7
3 449.6
4 507.1
6 578.8
8 629.0

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Proper break-in and lubrication is essential to maximizing velocities out of the spring piston guns.
I was taught this 35 years ago by Bob Wrankel. It was my first springer, a RWS 45 .177. He set up the Ohler and shot 10 lights (RWS Hobby) and 10 heavys (Beeman Superdome). Then he used solvent on the mainspring and re-lubed it and put a few drops of chamber oil in. It was worked in by cocking/uncocking a couple hundred times then firing with heavys for a hundred or so rounds. When he shot over the chronograph next there was a huge gain that put it right on track with factory specs.
All I own is RWS springers so I can't speak of the break-in for other manufactures but my 34 and 52 have shot true to spec after proper break-in.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote