THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Anyone stock PCP rifles in Dallas/Ft Worth area?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone stock PCP rifles in Dallas/Ft Worth area?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the market for a good PCP rifle but have never shot or even seen one. I would like to lay hands on a few if possible. Anyone know of any stores in the DFW area that carry some of the better air rifles?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
when it comes to PCP rifles, there are almost no dealers in the entire US who carry them. they prefer the low end Gamo, RWS and Benjamin springers. i can only think of about 7-8 dealers nationwide who stock them and they are scattered. good luck but it ain't likely. when you say "better" rifles, that pretty much eliminates the Benjamin models- cheap but you get what you pay for. next higher would be the Korean Evanix line, then step up to the European models. a good PCP with fill tank, hose, rifle and scope will cost well over $1000( more like $1300 and up). and that assumes a high pressure(4500psi) air source in your area. barring that, you have to add a compressor or -God forbid- a hand pump. getting into PCP rifles is NOT something to do on a whim. it is a SERIOUS dollar commitment...i have 6 PCP's with all the stuff needed to fill them( i do a lot of shooting, no local air source, so i bought my own Bauer compressor) and the total investment is at least $18,000.....feel free to PM if you are serious going forward, i can save you some costly mistakes, learned the hard way. but the bottom line is that it is expensive because of the things you have to buy other than the rifle/scope.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I do have a scuba shop very close by that I assume can fill tanks (will need to verify that).

I did some more searching and found that AirForce rifles are made just a few miles from me and they have a retail dealer nearby also. Any feedback on their rifles. They are single shots and I was hoping for a repeater.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my first PCP was an Airforce Talon SS. got rid of it in 2 months. the ergonomics are such that that you love it or hate it. i hated it. unless you spend additional money on aftermarket parts, particularly an angled air tank valve and an adjustable butt plate, it shoulders poorly. your eye is too high,otherwise. plus the scope mounting position places your eye( and the scope itself) well above the "cheek" rest, such as it is. difficult to load if you have large fingers. looks "cool" but an ergonomic disaster for most shooters. noisy unless you add extra baffles inside the factory shroud. also check with your local scuba shop about their maximum fill pressure. most shops only fill to 3000psi and most PCP's require a 3000psi fill pressure. this means that the first fill from a full scuba tank will fill to a bit less than 3000- and each fill after that fills to an even lower pressure. if the shop won't fill to at least 3300psi, you are wasting your time buying a standard aluminum scuba tank. ideally you need a paintball shop that has a 4500psi compressor. use SCBA firemen's bottles( 4500psi rated). unfortunately most paintball shops won't fill a large firemen's bottle- only the small paintball tanks. if all this is discouraging, it is meant to be. you should not get into PCP rifles unless you fully understand the ( expensive) ramifications... all that said, if you take the plunge, you will have a fine shooting system with essentially no recoil and pinpoint accuracy. all 6 of my Daystates will shoot 1" groups at 75 yards and are accurate enough to shoot ground squirrels to 100 yards. not bad for a pellet gun

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Talon airguns are (or were) made in Garland, TX., if I remember correctly.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes
ISS (International Shooters Service)in Ft. Worth carries high end PCP air rifles and pistols. Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Steyr and Walther
Neal Stepp knows his products

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote