THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Accuracy of various brands of pellets

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of various brands of pellets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Does anyone find that one particular brand is consistently more accurate than another across multiple rifles?

Thanks,

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With one exception my rifles like H&N.
I used them in these:-
BSA Mark 1 Airsporter .22 FTT or Sniper Light.
Titan Manitou .22 Baracuda
BSA Cadet Major. .22 FTT So-so accuracy, but they never were target rifles and 78 year old eyes don't help.
Air Arms s410. .177 Baracuda, also likes Rabbit Magnum.
The odd one out is a Webley Mk111, likes the OLD BSA Pylarms.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
JSB

And after prompting of my memory by Bill/Oregon/NM
H&N

From what I have seen/read recently, you may even want to try Air Arms branded pellets.

All quite interesting considering the fact that apparently many are made by the same facilities in Czech Republic.

Airguns are like 22LR they sure have a distinct preference for most precise "ammo". I am almost out of pellets for one of mine and I will soon find out if it likes the JSB 18.13s made today or I am off on a new search for proper pellet.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
My personal experience says JSBs are the most accurate.

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I typically start with JSBs and go from there if necessary. Have had good luck with H&N in springer pistols.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually, consistently, JSB Exact will give the most likely best accuracy but with some other makes brands, even so, being slightly better.

My BSA Scorpion T-10 in .177" gave best groups Bisley Magnums. My BSA Scorpion T-10 in .22" gave best groups with Bisley Long Range Gold. BOTH are re-packed H & N.

So, yes, both shot very, very, very well with JSB. But it's just that they shot even better (even if ever so slightly but noticeably so) with the Bisley pellets as noted.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Going back a bit in posting history.

Enfieldspares
If they are repacked H&N's have you tried the comparable H&N pellets?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my Anchutz 2002 (sp?) that looks nearly like the one at the top of the page except for color, I've used H&N almost exclusively as they just seem to work. I don't use it in any sort of competition instead use it for prep work off of shooting sticks for hunting trips. So I'll bite, what are JSB'S?

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
For me mostly it has been H&N, then JSB and Crosman Premier, all 22 cal. in two PCP guns and a Benjamin Titan GP

Check this out for JSB info. One of my rifles really loves the Exact Jumbo Diabolo 22 cal pellets.

http://www.schulzdiabolo.cz/en/

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...JSB, EXACT JUMBO and EXACT KING...Fairly well modified 22 Gauntlet AND Daystate Air Wolf 25 PCP...Both GOOD out to 50 plus yds on grey squirrels, crows, ground/sage rats, one nosy, stupid young 'yote, skunks, rock chucks..basically what the rifle makers said.

Check out AirGun Depot, Pyramid and the other airgun dealers...they all have good info on which pellets shoot best in almost every airgun imaginable...and also the airgun maker. No use wasting time and/or money in hit or miss work...listen to me, I KNOW. Frowner Roll Eyes shocker

H&N Crow Magnum 177 and Crosman Premiers are the only accurate pellets in my two springers seems like...mid weights to keep the velo below 1100 fs and the speed of sound pow.

Pellet guns are just like powder guns, you gotta try a few different bullets/powder/primers to find the one that works best. I probably have a 2' high stack of pellet tins I've tried that weren't accurate enough for me before I found the right ones. Frowner I'm slowly using them up shooting pine cones around the yard and use the accurate ones for actual hunting.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I tested various pellets in my Weihrauch HW 97k FAC in .177.

JSB Exact are the most accurate pellets in this so far. At least for outdoor shooting/pest control. My longest shot was bird at 82 m. Killed hundreds of pigeons at various distances up to about 70 m. Almost all pigeons with exit hole.

Now I use "EXACT PREMIUM DIABOLO" only.

P.S.: Pellets are made here in Czech Republic.
Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jiri...do you get a discount????? Big Grin Big Grin Just being a smar-tazzz. popcorn

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
EXACT pellets are very good.

But you still have to try them in your gun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is "most accurate" will vary gun to gun.
My Stoeger likes Crosman best so far.
I believe it's all about how they fit the particular borea.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote