THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    This one is my 600th Rock Chuck for the spring/summer

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This one is my 600th Rock Chuck for the spring/summer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been laid up for about a month. My wife got me out last friday and I shot 14 chucks. Number 599 was a 77 yard head shot. Number 600 was a 13 pound male. He was out in the tall grass when we pulled up in the truck. He was across the canal and was running for the hole. The shot was 30 yards and I shot him in the eye. The gun is my Air Arms TX200 22 cal. I shoot H&N FTT 14.66 grain pellets.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron, check out this site and you may want to go into the fur business if you haven't already! $125 per pelt x 600 = $75,000 Eeker

https://www.chichesterinc.com/MarmotSkins.htm

Posts: 3648 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the heck. That is whacked out.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may need to bone up on your skinning and tanning skills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your record to date and getting set free.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed, Ron. You sure know how to run that TX200.
Hope your foot/ankle mends soon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

Prices well not hold if you flood the market.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I spit lemonaid thanks to that comment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well on your way there Ron.

It is a good thing.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well on your way there Ron.

It is a good thing.

Man you cracked me up. yuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, but the nice thing about tanned skins is that they keep. Diamonds are the most prevalent gem stone on earth but de Beers controls the supply and thus the price. Google Marmot skins and you'll get several companies that sell them. Must be some fair demand.

Ron could find a local trapper who might pay him $50 a pelt. That's still $30,000. Even $25 is $15,000.

Here is a neat way to skin them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJO5plZtSQ

quote:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I was not aware that there was a fur market these days what with the uneducated bleeding hearts, etc. I know that in 1970 I ran a trap line + at that time prime racoons were going for $45.00 + red fox was going for $60.00 + Silver fox (if you ever found one) was going for much more than that. That was a LOT of money in those days but it was a lot of work too. Sounds like your little pleasure shooting could be a viable source of some extra income; hell if you are out of capacity in the regular work mode due to your damaged peg, it's nice to know that you can still support your family sitting down + doing something you enjoy. Now THAT'S a job made in Heaven.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As an addendum, the only way to improve on this is teaching your kids how to do the skinning.No need to tan unless things have changed; the buyers usually want them in the green.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote