New
Find
Notify
Tools

nitro piston opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've found a local sale on some of the Benjamin "Nitro Piston" guns. Do these guns batter scopes the same way that spring guns do? I'm assuming that they don't?

Any opinions on them, good or bad?

Thanks

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have a Ben. Trail NP XL and it's recoil feels about the same as my RWS 36. BUT THAT IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE OPINION.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if scopes get battered. I've heard over half of wives are battered. The other guys eat em plain.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they still have "Air Rifle recoil" as they are the same basic design except the "spring" is different. They'll still kill a reguler rifle scope.

The advantange is they tend to be less dependent on hold and shooting position hence some what more accurate. Because there isn't the spring flopping around and unwinding inside the gun.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JWM, Type "Pyramid Air" in your Search Engine. Then go there and look at some of them. Along with the Specs, are a lot of User Reviews. Only problem for me is, I don't know any of them and have no idea if they really know what they are talking about or not.

Do a "Find" on them here and you can find some discussion as well.

I know a guy who bought a Remington NPSS in what they call the Carbon(aka Black) stock, and there was an Alignment problem with the barrel and the receiver. He didn't notice it until he got ready to mount the scope, had bought it locally, so he took it back. They went through 3-5 others which also had the alignment issue. Then they opened one with a Digital Stock and it was fine. I'm sure the Stock had nothing to do with it though, just coincidence.

He is very pleased with his NPSS Digital though.

I was wanting one real bad and may eventually end up with one. But right now I have a Crosman Storm and swapped out the Trigger to the GRT-III that the guys on here told me about. It was a disaster without the new Trigger. It is fairly accurate now with 2-types of Pellets that I've tried, but the Spring provides a Rotational Torque that the Nitro Pistons simply do not have. I can see where not having that Twisting Torque would be a significant Accuracy Enhancement.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, gents. I was a bit dissappointed that the Nitro guns still exhibit that back-and-forth recoil...I was hoping to use a scope that I currently own, rather than buying a new, airgun-rated one. It's difficult to glean good info on the internet regarding airguns. Unlike AR, a lot of posts on airgun forums seem to be written by enthusiastic youngsters on their way to the prom.

Instead of the Nitro Piston, I just purchased a Benjamin Discovery. It's precharged, but operates at only 2000psi, which is easily achieved by means of a hand pump, so I am free from the need for a scuba tank and/or compressor. No recoil, 900-1000fps in .22 cal, use any scope...all good so far. The trigger could use some improvement, and I'm still looking for the perfect pellet. I've found several which print into 1 inch @ 50 yards, and I expect the accuracy will improve with time. I have only about 200 rounds through it so far. The overal firing behaviour is far more pleasant than any spring gun I've used, outside of the recoilless FWB's.

Thanks for all your help.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just posted a very nice used 2009 Crosman made 22 cal NPSS for sale in the classifieds here if anyone is interested-

http://forums.accuratereloadin...551036841#1551036841

And BTW, they are VERY smooth shooting guns.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Thanks for the info, gents. I was a bit dissappointed that the Nitro guns still exhibit that back-and-forth recoil...I was hoping to use a scope that I currently own, rather than buying a new, airgun-rated one. It's difficult to glean good info on the internet regarding airguns. Unlike AR, a lot of posts on airgun forums seem to be written by enthusiastic youngsters on their way to the prom.

Instead of the Nitro Piston, I just purchased a Benjamin Discovery. It's precharged, but operates at only 2000psi, which is easily achieved by means of a hand pump, so I am free from the need for a scuba tank and/or compressor. No recoil, 900-1000fps in .22 cal, use any scope...all good so far. The trigger could use some improvement, and I'm still looking for the perfect pellet. I've found several which print into 1 inch @ 50 yards, and I expect the accuracy will improve with time. I have only about 200 rounds through it so far. The overal firing behaviour is far more pleasant than any spring gun I've used, outside of the recoilless FWB's.

Thanks for all your help.

John

i am curious what pellets you are using to get 900-1000fps in a Discovery. they would have to be pretty light, which of course affects accuracy if any breeze is blowing. you might want to try something heavier(16-18 grains). velocity will drop but accuracy and energy will usually increase. the Yellow Forum and Talon Air Gun forum have the best info in general- not nearly as many testosterone overdosed teenagers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar, I'm only quoting from memory of the specs and from what I've read on other forums...I don't even own a chrono. The pellets are an assortment of various brands that I just randomly picked up with the gun in order to try it and them out. They certainly seem to get to the target in a hurry, noticeably faster than my old Feinwerkbau 300, which I believe is somewhere around 600fps with match pellets. I just want to get a few hundred rounds down the barrel with as many different types of ammo as I can, and hope to see some patterns and trends developing. I've always leaned toward heavy-for-caliber bullets in firearms, and will probably continue that tendency with this gun if they prove effective. Weather here has been bad for shooting the last couple of days so opportunities are limited, especially due to wind.

Thanks for the tips on other websites. I will check them out. The Talon site sounds interesting...I was in love with the Condor, but was put off by the need for either an expensive compressor setup or a scuba tank.

John

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you can fill a Talon or Condor with a hand pump- just takes longer. or do what i did and buy a shoebox compressor for $450 and say goodbye to time and effort associated with a hand pump and say goodbye to trips to a scuba shop for tank refills. if you shoot a lot it makes sense- if you don't, stick with the hand pump. BTW, i would take those published velocity figures for a Discovery with a HUGE grain of salt unless it has been modified. manufacturers have a nasty habit of using the lightest pellet made to test and publish velocity numbers and almost invariably the super light pellets suck for accuracy. i chrony test all my air rifles when i get them and other than the Daystate, NONE of them(RWS, Airforce, or Benjamin) came really close to the published numbers- although my Talon SS came fairly close.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

I know a guy who bought a Remington NPSS...

He is very pleased with his NPSS Digital though.

And he actually got out and shot it last weekend.

Our MCL Det headed to the West Desert this past weekend to kick up some dust and return some lead back to the Earth, and we took a young Marine who just returned from Afghanistan and his mom with us. We let this kid shoot everything in our collective arsenal and the piece he kept coming back to was the Remington NPSS.

The accuracy of this particular rifle is amazing. I was drilling a ragged hole in Osama's forehead, off hand at about 60 feet with the scoped rifle. Of course the Marine Corps Digital Cammo pattern didn't hurt any. The feel of the rifle is outstanding. Everyone commented on the balance and overall feel of the rifle. This trigger was great right out of the box.

I just grabbed a can of Beeman Crow Magnum pellets off the shelf to use. I don't know how they compare with any other style or brand, but with this particular rifle, they are a perfect match.

As far as recoil goes, who would really be bothered by that?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I mentioned recoil, I was referring to the problems with many scopes that are not rated to withstand the unusual, back-and-forth "snap" of spring-piston guns.

So far, I've actually managed to avoid getting "eyebrowed" by an airgun. Big Grin