The Accurate Reloading Forums
Crosman 2300S silhouette pistol

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6511043/m/7911063452

28 September 2019, 20:45
Bill/Oregon
Crosman 2300S silhouette pistol
I am about out of anything air-related and decided I needed an inexpensive air pistol for shooting in the house and garage. Should see this thing on Monday. It's a CO2 gun, avoiding all the added expense of running a PCP. I know the first order of business is smoothing the trigger, then adding wood grips. Looking forward to it.
Hoping the choked Lothar Walther barrel makes it the shooter it could be.

https://www.crosman.com/2300s-silhouette-pistol-177

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
05 October 2019, 17:10
J_Zola
How does it shoot?
06 October 2019, 04:29
Bill/Oregon
J -- as well is it can with the lousy trigger. That's the weak point and I will work on it. That barrel wants to shoot!

– John Green, author
22 March 2021, 05:02
jkingrph
I got a 2300s and it got me interested. First off it is extremely accurate as is. The trigger while not awful is nothing to write home about. At least it has Crosman's adjustable sear spring so you can adjust the pull some. My next step was to pick up a standard 2240, replace the plastic breech with a steel breech, then install what is called a Supersear, about $27 on ebay and a roller trigger, about $45 on ebay also. The Supersear does not have the finest finish, so I stoned the surfaces that the trigger contact and the one that contacts the hammer(striker) and that improved things considerably. Next step was to put in one of the adjustable Crosman sear springs. With the tension all the way down the pull was about 7 oz and not really reliable so I adjusted it up to 12 oz where it is totally reliable and crisp. I basically took a $68 gun, added about $140 in parts, ( supersear, roller trigger, adjustable sear spring, and a rear sight that would fit the steel breech) All the parts other than the steel breech were from ebay, and it was direct from Crosman. Off a rest at 10 meters/yards with a rest if I am careful I can get sub dime size groups. My patio table and plastic shooting rest are not the steadiest thing going either.

Right now I have parts on order to complete another, using a Lothar Walther barrel and a 3 lever two stage trigger from Crosman. I am getting the barrel and breech from alliance hobbies because their breech has 3 screws to hold the barrel vs one in the breech direct from Crosman.

The 22xx series from Crosman, CO2 powered, in .177 or .22 cal are kind of like AR 15's of the air gun world. You can get long barrels and stocks to make carbines also, but I have a few nice spring powered rifles so will pass. I also did not want to get into the PCP game as I would need a special compressor, filter, and possibly a tank to store compressed air, running into several thousands of dollars for higher end stuff.

I even picked up an old S&W 78g CO2 pistol and had it reworked with new seals, It matches my M41 22LR target pistol quite well also so I can now shoot and practice in the yard without having to drive 50 miles to the range.

One of my spring rifles is a FWB 124 that I have had for a little over 45 years, just sent it off for new seals and springs and it came back fine, It's a break barrel sporter, I did have a scope on it most of those years but took it off and put a Williams target receiver sight back on that I had before the scope, I like the way it handles better with the peep sight. The other is a FWB 300s, a recoilless side lever rifle, one of the ruling rifles in Olympic and international air rifle match shooting back in it's day, up through the late 1980's

JJK
25 March 2021, 13:48
packrattusnongratus
If you buy one of the PCP styles in an economical rifle buy a high quality hand pump. Once you get it up to working pressure it is nothing to top off with the hand pump. I use a Hill with a moisture filter. As I said topping off is nothing, just that initial one. I don't like CO2 as I want to have a supply of pressure in all temps. CO2 has difficulty making pressure below certain temps. Be Well, Packy.
13 June 2021, 05:48
jkingrph
I may save up and get a Crosman 1701p and a hand pump

JJK
14 June 2021, 18:03
Bill/Oregon
I bought a Hill when I briefly owned a Benjamin Marauder a dozen years ago. Fine machine, worth the money. So was the Marauder.

– John Green, author
12 July 2021, 00:48
jkingrph
I ended up replacing the trigger on my 2300s with the trigger unit from a 1701p. Doing this you have to replace the wasp waist trigger with a straight sided trigger, no big deal or I understand you can clean and degrease it and fill the wasp waist with something like JB weld and contour straight. It is a vast improvement. I also just completed building a companion gun in .22, I wanted a Lothar Walther barrel but after waiting a couple of months settled for a Crosman. It is basically identical to the 2300s , but in .22 cal and with brass trim, muzzle weight/sight base, co2 cap, safety , probe handle and power adjustor. Shoots good. I also got a 2300T and have been modifying it for my grandson. It came with a short steel breech, a LPA adjustable sight, and an adjustable sear spring. I replaced the standard sear with a super sear, after polishing the surfaces that engage the hammer and trigger, polished the trigger and have it all adjusted to a nice 2lb 5 oz. I also added an extra barrel band for more barrel support, and have a trigger shoe on order.

JJK