THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Poll - The Best Squirrel/Rabbit Killer is - 17cal or 22cal?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - The Best Squirrel/Rabbit Killer is - 17cal or 22cal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been reading up on the various 17cal and 22cal positive aspects and traits. Looks like the 17cal Pellets are cheaper, but the 22cal reports claim they tend to Kill more decisevly. 17cal is typically a bit faster with a somewhat flatter trajectory than the 22cal, but the 17cal has less available Impact Power at the distances Kills are typically made.

I understand the arguments for the 20cal as being the best of both. But I already have one(and it is nice).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Question:
Which caliber do you prefer for Killing Squirrels, Rabbits, Crows, etc.?

Choices:
1. 17cal
2. 20cal
3. 22cal
4. 25cal
5. Larger
6. Other?

Question:
Which shape Pellet do you prefer for Killing Squirrels, Rabbits, Crows, etc.?

Choices:
7. Flat Nose
8. Round Nose (Domed)
9. Pointed Nose
10. Hollow Point
11. Round Ball
12. Other?

Question:
Which weight Pellet do you prefer for Killing Squirrels, Rabbits, Crows, etc.?

Choices:
13. Light weight for caliber
14. Medium weight for caliber
15. Heavy weight for caliber
16. Other?

Question:
Which shot placement do you prefer for Killing Squirrels, Rabbits, Crows, etc.?

Choices:
17. Head shots
18. Body shots
19. Both 17. & 18.
20. None of the above?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yukoncat
posted Hide Post
Nice Poll. I felt compelled to respond due to making a personal discovery just this morning. Until recently I had been dispatching squirrels off of our bird feeder with .177 spring actuated air rifles that spit out pellets at approximately 1100 FPS. With head shots, they always drop as expected, but body shots were mostly having to be followed up with more hits. I recently purchased a 22 cal that spits out my favorite domed pellet at about 950FPS. Two squirrels showed up at the killing post this morning and were both shot just behind the front shoulder for purpases of the experiment. They both quivered slightly and dropped in their tracks. Very humane kills which in my view, even the pests are diserving.

Posts: 67 | Location: TAZLINA, AK | Registered: 20 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of them in my backyard with a BSA Supersport .177 spring airgun that I've had for several years. It was advertised as producing 1,100 fps but when I shot it over my chronograph it was actually closer to 800 fps. My experience is similar to Yukoncat's, head shots kill immediately and the pellet penetrates completely through the skull, in one side and out the other. Body shots are not very humane, I've tried them but they require follow up shots generally.

I grew up hunting fox squirrels in the Midwest which are delicious eating. Has anyone tried eating these smaller grey squirrels?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your alls insightful input to the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
...Has anyone tried eating these smaller grey squirrels?
Yes, they are also excellent. They are a bit trickier to clean, without getting hair on them, than the Fox Squirrels due to their smaller size.

A Trick I learned many years ago was to pass a Flame quickly over the skinned meat(Squirrel or Rabbit) and it will immediately turn the hair into ash, which can then be rinsed off.

Lightly Fried and then into a cassarole dish with Cream of Mushroom soup until the meat falls off the bones is quite good. ESPECIALLY good with lumpy msahed potatoes, field peas, corn, sliced tomatoes and hot home-made biscuits. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I appreciate your alls insightful input to the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
...Has anyone tried eating these smaller grey squirrels?
Yes, they are also excellent. They are a bit trickier to clean, without getting hair on them, than the Fox Squirrels due to their smaller size.

A Trick I learned many years ago was to pass a Flame quickly over the skinned meat(Squirrel or Rabbit) and it will immediately turn the hair into ash, which can then be rinsed off.

Lightly Fried and then into a cassarole dish with Cream of Mushroom soup until the meat falls off the bones is quite good. ESPECIALLY good with lumpy msahed potatoes, field peas, corn, sliced tomatoes and hot home-made biscuits. Big Grin

Looks like I'm going grey squirrel hunting in the backyard tonight, that's making me hungry.

Good tip about passing a flame over the meat, I never would have thought of that, but it makes sense, that's exactly what we used to do at home with chickens after plucking them when I was a kid. Sure beats standing over the kitchen sink trying pull each damn hair off before cooking them.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
+1 on eating grey squirrels. when i was a kid Mamma would essentially quarter them( leaving out the ribs) and use them as the meat part of Irish stew( potatoes, onions, carrots, corn, field peas, etc.). had to cook on low heat for a looong time to tenderize before adding veggies.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy Air Arms TX200 ; Power Falcon PreCharged Pellet JSB Diabolo Express

Deadly under 65 yd All with .177 cal. ; An who better to evaluate effectiveness than a Grove owner !?.

Hundreds of squirrels have tried almost all have died ,along with Cousins Jack an cottontail. No Rookeries allowed

for those foul feathered welfare birds that flock together out with their eye say I !.

AirArms if there's a more accurate air rifle in the money category I've yet to see it .

An I'm ALWAYS LOOKING .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Flat heads and round domes TRANSMIT energy best, and the HEAVIES do better as well.

Warp speed/light pells/pointed tips not always best on body shots.

The above is more pertinent in 177.

A 20 and 22 cal w/round domes slams hard w/say 14.3 gr pellets.

A 177 in mag power, as in 850-1200 range is best IMHO used w/pellets over 9 - 10+ grains.

Long shots make a 177 more user friendly save the fastest 20/22s.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a serious note: I miss two things living in Idaho after having been born and raised outside of St Louis in Illinois.

1. hunting tree squirrels. Delicious in stews.
2. bass ponds. Our place had three, and it seems like every little farm had five or six.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Rich, when I grew up, my dad had a camp on the then famous Toledo Bend.......it was a fisherman's DREAM! Dearly miss the times I had then....you could catch SO many fish, it was ridiculous! Didn't mind squirrel, had to cook a long time to soften them up, esp. cat/grey squirrels, but rabbits, esp. the 'Swamp Rabbits' that are much larger were wonderful, cream of mushroom soup, onions, in a crock pot for a few hours....melt in your mouth!

Do admit a PASSION for hunting Fox squirrels in hardwoods w/a 22. Had my MOST fun ever hunting times chasing some w/a TC Contender 10"....got 5 one afternoon, most/all headshot out to 60 yds, 5x Burris, DEADLY accurate handgun, hair trigger...SO much sport and fun.

Hungry yet? Lol.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 'Bend' is a dream to fish. Used to hunt near Hemphill in the national forrest up there. Hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoon, praradise Had a buddy who had a trailer right on the 'Bend'. Shot some deer and caught a buttload of catfish on his trotlines. What a time!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Home made biscuits. My dads were the best. His recipe simple. Try this and please report results. Mix self rising flour, buttermilk and some salt. Make a fairly moist dough and form biscuits by hand. Place on a greased cooking platter or pan and turn over so the top and bottom both get greased. Bake. That's it--try it they are great.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does your poll apply to crats as well?
dancing

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as in Democrats??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote