THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Feinwerkbau Running Boar 300 S

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feinwerkbau Running Boar 300 S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't believe it, as the package arrived yesterday, I have my hands on a Running Boar Feinwerkbau 300 S that is in mint condition.
I am in the process of looking for a scope any suggestions?

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that package was delivered to the wrong address. I live in SW Idaho, not Douglas, WY.

You are a lucky man...!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was putting a scope on my RWS the first problem was I couldn't get it to zero--ran out of scope adjustment before it was on target. The base is non removable, so shims under base was not an option. Tried shims inside the rings--bad idea. I talked to an RWS airsmith and he described exactly where my shots were hitting and said adjustable mounts were the answer. He was correct. I don't know if your rifle will require them or not. The next problem was most regular rifle scopes focus at 50 yards and beyond--not suitable for air rifles. Answer was a Leupold with EFR (extended Focus Range) that have adjustable objective lens so that they focus closer range. Problem solved. I had tried going to a lower powered Leupold that didn't have EFR , but they too focused at 50 yards. At that time the scope was $307 for a new one. On EBAY I never saw one go less than $275 so in effect it is a $32 scope--what a bargain. Mine is the compact 3x-9x and is crystal clear--very happy with it. They make the EFR model in higher power, but I didn't see the need on an air rifle.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have been a shooter and owner of the 300 S full size and mini for 30 years. They are a hoot. I just obtained the Running Boar model that I have been wanting for ages but just never did pull the trigger even in the late eighties. Peter Hathaway Capstick and I visited about so much after I purchased a special edition of his leather bound books at SCI and mini-snipping was one that we both enjoyed thou he had the Running Boar and I the 300 S.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that this particular Running Boar has the thumb hole stock. Last night I put on 2-7 Beeman scope I had and will be shooting it today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give us a report on the Beeman scope. I don't know who makes them and I've only seen one. It was a low grade small tube certainly not something you would want on a rifle such as yours.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope was sold by Beeman's. I have no idea who was the manufacturer.

So far it has worked perfectly with the windage and elevation adjustments. My close shooting is ten yards or so and I extend out to about thirty two yards.

I really like to shoot the pellet guns since I have an eye issue of a small tear in my Retina that is reportedly healing and I am in the process of having a cataract removed from the same eye. So with the minimal aspect of the Feinwerkbau on recoil I can have my fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Best wishes on your eye recovery. Two yrs. ago during my regular yearly eye exam the Doctor discovered I also had a retina tear in one eye. The repair worked very well.
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I am sure glad people have dedicated their lives to help others as losing your vision is very real when it happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE the 300S:

I have one, that is marked L.G. Mod Feinwerkbau 300S Cal. 4.5/.177.

Serial Number is 219,XXX.

It came to me from a Beeman dealer several years ago, with the good iron sights, and two combs. One is lower by about 5/16ths of an inch, and they are held in place by two bolts underneath the stock. It also came with what were said to be factory bases and rings for a scope.

Anybody know about this variation?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bob, when I saw the thread title I was immediately reminded of the article Capstick wrote on mini-sniping years ago, I believe in Guns and Ammo. I have wanted one ever since. Congratulations, and be sure to share some images.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16293 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Feinwerkbau 300 s ( I think) match rifles. I probably should have gotten the running boar back in the mid 80's when I got it. I also have a 124 or is it a 127, anyway a 4.5mm sporter with a variable power Beaman scope that has been on it probably about 37 years with no problems.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a really good 300S that has been sitting in my gun cabinet for 15 or 20 years. It probably should have service before some one shot it. I would be open to offers or trades. I shot it in matches for a long time. The matches closed down and it just sits.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My 300S. I need to get it serviced or sell it. It hasn't been shot in 15 or 20 years.

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun club I belong to has a junior shooting team. We have some Anschutz 8001 and FWB 300s' that the kids practice with. I used a 1978 vintage 300s for an open 10-meter air rifle match in Seattle last month. Got a 98/100 on one of my prone targets. The bulls eye is only half a millimeter wide, but missing it twice sucked.

We're looking for a few more FWB air rifles for the kids to train with. One of the coaches is proficient at replacing seals and springs as needed.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
The gun club I belong to has a junior shooting team. We have some Anschutz 8001 and FWB 300s' that the kids practice with. I used a 1978 vintage 300s for an open 10-meter air rifle match in Seattle last month. Got a 98/100 on one of my prone targets. The bulls eye is only half a millimeter wide, but missing it twice sucked.

We're looking for a few more FWB air rifles for the kids to train with. One of the coaches is proficient at replacing seals and springs as needed.

A 300S is a wonderful but expensive rifle for kids to practice with.

Sounds like a good cause. How much you interested in paying?

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
We're teaching precision small bore, so the FWB300 is acceptable, not preferred. Everyone including myself find it a hassle to cock and load while in the prone position; it is much easier in the kneeling and offhand positions. But the prices are less than half the cost of a good pcp air rifle like the 8001 and they don't need the scuba tank to charge the cylinder.

We also have two Anschutz 8001's, a FWB 600 for our oldest girl, three FWB300S' in good/fair condition, one FWB300 mini and a CZ T200 for one of the younger shooters. We are not looking for well preserved examples with nice wood as they will get scratched up over the years with handling, which means we might not be offering the price you want. We are also using diopter sights only, no scope.

I'll talk to one of the other coaches, but I don't think we can offer more than $600 even if it had good springs and seals. Does it have front and rear diopter sights or just the scope? If the rifle is as good as it looks, you can probably get a better price for it on gunbroker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has both sights. It hasn'r been fired in years so will need seals, etc. This gun is in superb shape and kind of an old friend and I'd kinda hate to see it banged up by newbies.

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand. It's not like we have an eight year old dropping them on the ground or anything like that. The typical kid in our group is 12 and older, they start on a mat with a padded block in front of them for the rifle. The stocks tend to gather scratches over the years as they get rubbed on the jacket buttons or a tool scraped against them. The most avoidable dings are those that come form the crowded safe. The metal finish gets a bit of wear in the damp weather even though they're wiped down after use and stored in a heated and dehumidified safe/room. The typical air rifle is shooting 300-500 pellets a week for the lightly used ones.

We have a mini version of the 300S that shoots rather well; it has recently replaced seals. I put a scope on it and shot ten pellets into a .20 inch group that doubled in size with one flier.

Here is another target with an old beat up 300S, the trigger and bore are good, the stock is beat to hell and the rear sight will only come off with a hammer if at all.

All of our FWB's like the RWS 7 grain wadcutters more than the 8.2 grain.

Randy

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Orion score sheets from the last 10-meter air rifle match I was in. I only had a few days to practice with the one of the club's 300S as I had loaned out both of my Anschutz PCP rifles to the young ladies on the team. As you can see I have much room for improvement.
http://i171.photobucket.com/al...%201_zpsklmmuiku.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/al...%202_zps88g3fqg1.jpg

An enlarged and colored potion of my best prone target. The small red dot in the middle is the .5 millimeter bulls eye and the blue circles are the 4.5 millimeter pellet holes.