New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My college age son is interested in an air rifle. The house I own (that he rents) has a small indoor shooting range. Its probably in the range of 30-40 feet in length. He is wanting something where he can practice his shooting skills during the winter. I am sure he will use it elsewhere as well.

What do you think of this? Is there something better in this price range?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A...ref_=lv_cv_lig_dp_it

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brake barrel and rifle scope (on receiver) is always no-go for me.

Serviced few gamo air rifles, cheap plastic parts inside. Can't say about this model, never handled or dismantled.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Overpriced Gamo junk. The FPS speed is a joke, as is accuracy. Find a used RWS , Air Arms or HW. Even a new Benjamin nitro piston XL would be better.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. With your advice, went this route:

https://www.amazon.com/Benjami...6&sr=8-10&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Much better choice than a Gamo!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My Gamo. Seems to do a pretty good job.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My gamo has killed so many feral pigeons that I've lost count. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Feral pigeons; true of course but I like the way you stated it. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I tried many different air rifles and few air pistols over the time. From the beginning mostly East Europe production, such as Soviet IZH 38, Czech Slavia 618, 630, 631, much later 634, East Germany side cocking HAENEL modell 312 SUHL and many many others. At this time, I liked Suhl best and disliked IZH. All worked well if some care has been given.

After some time, Gamo and other become imported. Wow, modern design and shape, it must be something great. Not at all, if you don't like plastic parts in critical places. We were not prepared for "western style scam advertising methods" (the same with everything else, from washing powders, knives, sun glasses to wonder food supplements or whatever).

What to say:

*     I will never ever recommend Gamo or Hatsan to anybody. Period.

*     I will never ever recommend receiver mounted scope on the break barrel air rifle. Even those old Suhl air rifle mentioned above from '60s with target sights has side cocking for the reason!

*     For the real and logic springer and scope combination, I will recommend Weihrauch or Air Arms rifles with cocking lever and fixed barrel.

*     And for the something completely out of this space, any good quality PCP, such as FX Crown (MK2).

Just my $0.02

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote