Find
Notify
Tools

Changing Pellets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I used to think that Beeman Silver Jets would not shoot in my RWS M34.

Every time I would try them, for a few shots, or a group or two or three, I would get flyers and bad groups.

So, I would go back to my RWS pellets, SWCs, domes or pointed, and they would always shoot straight into small groups.

Then today I tried an experiment. Fifty shot groups at 10 meters.

I found that after about fifteen or twenty shots, the Beemans settled down and started shooting into a smaller group.

Then, when I switched back to the RWS pellets, imagine my surprise when the first several were flyers. It took fifteen to twenty shots for the RWS pellets to settle down.

The fifty shot group with the RWS pellets was still better than the one with the Beeman pellets.

But if I eliminated the initial Beeman flyers, the Beeman group was good.

Have any of you also found that you need to "season" the barrel with fifteen to twenty shots when changing pellet brands?

I wonder if it's caused by different lead alloys?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael, Excellent observation and good questions. I'm real interested in what the other folks have seen regarding this issue as well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You most always have to re-lead the barrel when you change pellets 20 or so shots. Yes it's strange as each pellet must push out most of whatever is in the barrel anyway, and why should accuracy usually get better???

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JSB Exact Diabolo Express and NEVER LOOK BACK !.

My Air Rifles prefer them over ANY OTHER brand or Type !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote