The Accurate Reloading Forums
Casting/swaging airgun pellets, slugs, and boolits.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6511043/m/6531008852

14 April 2020, 04:54
Bordertown Devil
Casting/swaging airgun pellets, slugs, and boolits.
Anybody on here casting/swaging their own projectiles? I recently started acquiring molds and swage dies for this purpose for my impending retirement from public service.
14 April 2020, 06:53
Mark
Quite a few years ago I was in on a group buy on castboolits for a 177 pointed bullet custom mold from Lee. Unfortunately the finished product tumbled out of my gun (RWS 45) and aqccording to the forum a lot of other people had the same experience.

About the only thing I do even close is I have a pair of Sheridan Blue Streaks and I made a swage by drilling a piece of steel to 20 caliber and resizing 22 pellets to fit my sheridans. They work well enough for my uses.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside
15 April 2020, 01:18
Bill C.
Cast for my big bores .308 And .458. Have round ball molds for the .50's but it's just easier to buy round balls for muzzle loaders as they work ok. I cast with pure lead for air guns. I also use the molds for powder burners, mostly .45/70 too

really hard to make .177 pellets, that work.
15 April 2020, 01:53
Bordertown Devil
Thanks, guys!
16 April 2020, 07:21
carpetman1
I too have the mold Mark mentioned from castboolits. It was billed as going to be a heavy (25 grain) pellet that would carry further and the way described would almost take out a cape buffalo. Well ok, I just threw in the part about a Cape. I have an RWS 52 and it tumbled in it. One guy said he got good results shooting them backwards--I tried that and accuracy still wasn't there and terrible penetration in a board. Might be if someone could mill the mold down to make a lighter bullet it might work??
Mark, I too shoot Sheridan Blue Streak--great gun.