New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bismuth Pellets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a Russian technical paper that discusses bismuth airgun pellets, but I have not been able to find any. Do they exist in the western world?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Even if they are available, I would not use them. Rifling in Air gun barrels is very shallow. A steady diet of bismuth would quickly wear out a barrel....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing, jdollar.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Barrels are easy to fit in some of my PCPs. I would try them. Be Well. Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure about the wearing out part?

I'm no airgun guy, but the amount of fouling (bismuthing?) in the barrel of a shotgun shooting bismuth pellets that are not fully protected by a shotcup is really impressive.

I think because it tends to shatter it will spread fouling easily. It might well not wear out a barrel, but I wouldn't be surprised if the accuracy degrades very quickly due to fouling, and require frequent cleaning.

It does clean up easily in the shotguns I have used it in, but even 2-3 shots and you can see streaks. Doesn't seem to do anything bad in shotguns, but a rifled barrel, that would be different.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote