Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical range construction
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Dozer showing up in 10 days. I think I know what I want done, but I am open to suggestions.

I have enough land that I can put in what I want, provided I can find enough flat ground. Here is what I have planned

A 25 yard wide by 25 Yard deep "bay" (when I say bay I mean it will be surrounded by earthen berms.) This will be for pistol or tactical rifle on paper or and/or steel.

A 100 yard long bay for tactical rifle/pistol, shooting steel and paper from 100 all the way up to short range for pistol/rifle on paper.

A long range course that has 1/2" AR 500 circles at various ranges out to 800 yards (Maybe farther). I am limited on my placement due to terrain changes and don't have the money to literally "move mountains" of dirt. So I will settle for some odd ranges. like 235 yard 460, etc. You get the idea. I want to put in a bench under a cover and a mound of dirt for prone shooting.

Anyway. I have thought this through, but, I am always saying, "Man I wish I would have done 'this' or 'that'" after the fact.

So, tell me please.

What are some cool or unusual things you have seen on ranges that you would implement if you were building one.

What are some of the most useful things on a tactical, pistol or long range course.

What are some common range ideas that are not really worth the money.

This range will not be open to the public, but, clients who hunt the ranch will likely use it. I am a million miles from anything, but have considered my neighbors and their safety (specifically their deer blind locations). I believe the mapping out of the range has taken safety as priority #1. Everything else is secondary.

I have a budget, like anyone, and will start on the 100 yard bay as that is a lot of dirt to move. I am afraid this is going to be 70% of the work alone.

I have Steel targets. 1/2 AR 500 circles from 6" to 16" and 3 IPSC silhouettes to start with. Will buy more circles for the long range course once I start shooting it and decide what I think is reasonable.
Any thoughts, criticism or ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
no offense Wendell, but did you mean to post this n the air rifle forum?? seems it might get a better response elsewhere...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, for a second there I suddenly got a new respect for air rifles...

Wink

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote