New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daisy 105B
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My grandson has one of these. He is now 9 and the stock is too small for him. Any suggestions as to the next step?
Thanks, Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feed your grandson a bunch of oysters. Never mind, that's for something else, he probably doesn't need them.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter looking at the 105b it looks like it would be pretty easy to make a wooden butt that is shorter and keep the original butt for when your grandson gets bigger. You could use the factory stock and trace around it to get a pattern and cut it out with a jigsaw. Little sanding and a couple of holes looks like about all that would be needed. Probably a 1x4 would work. You might want to stain it--probably walnut stain.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your grandson would probably enjoy a Bug A Salt gun. Go to www.bugasalt.com. They have pistol grip and salt is cheaper than bb's. I have no connection to Bug A Salt, but have experience with them should you have any questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding carpetman. I'm afraid that I wasn't clear in my OP. The gun is too small for him so I need a reasonably priced air rifle that is the next size up ie. a larger stock. Also, I am teaching him to shoot a rifle. The bugasalt guns you referrred me to do not have a shoulder stock as near as I can tell. We shoot at a bullseye target held in a pellet trap at about 8 paces so that he can keep it in the trap, and develop accuracy. He is doing quite well (standing) so I want the next step in an accurate shoulder type BB or pellet rifle that allows him to shoulder the rifle well, and develop his sighting skills.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter---As you can surmise I was thinking he was too small. It should be easy to make a larger butt for the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a fork in the road as they say. Two choices. CO2 or break barrel springer. depends on weather he could cock a springer. A CO2 rifle would be cheaper and easier for a small shooter, but you have to deal with Co2 cartridges. Springers are what everyone ends up shooting, but more strength is required and higher cost.
I started my son on Co2, but because I have several low cocking effort (but not low cost)springers he quickly switched.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill C. pretty much nailed it. Sounds like your grandson needs to move up to an adult air rifle. The Sheridan Blue Streak or Silver Streak are pump up and I really like mine. They are .20 cal (5mm) and pellets run a little higher in price (of course any pellet will be higher cost than bb's).Kids as you have probably learned can go through some ammo. You can add a peep sight to them if you like. RWS barrel cockers are very good in my books too. Keep in mind the cost will be higher, but with care they could last your grandson a lifetime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I suspect that the barrel cockers will be too heavy for him as he has only just learned how to cock the "lever action" of the Daisy.
What are some example of low cocking effort barrel cockers? I would probably rather stick with the .177 caliber if I could.
Carpetman I will check on the Sheridan's.
Thanks again! Now I have a track to run on.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the Ruger Explorer, kid size break barrel springer. or maybe a QB78 for a Co2 rifle, my son started on a QB78.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I have looked at all the suggestions as well as the Daisy Powerline and the Crossman 2100. Right now I am leaning towards the Crossman although I have not seen or handled one myself (yet). I like the Crossman because it handles both BB's as well as pellets, and you don't have to single load the BB's. The varying power levels based on the number of "pumps" might be an advantage later on, if he stays interested. Based on pictures, it looks like the Crossman is a larger gun, but again, personal inspection comes first! A trip to Walmart is in the offing! BTW, the price is also a factor. The Crossman is around $60 at Walmart. Not sure what the difference is between the 2100 and the 2100B!
Peter.