New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope adjustment question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today I was shooting sparrows off my purple martin houses. Was proud of myself that I had hit 3 in a row. Then I had an easier shot and missed. Didn't even fly. I reloaded and took 6 more shots and it still didn't fly. Then a martin landed next to it and I didn't dare shoot at it again. So I set up a target to check my sighting. Was off to the right. Adjusted my scope and back on. I have had that problem a few times in the past. The rifle is an RWS 52 and the scope is a Leupold 3x-9x with EFR. The mounts are RWS which seem very sturdy. I know a Leupold scope can give problems, same as any other, but it hasn't been subjected to damage and I think it's fine. I have center fire rifles that I seldom ever have to adjust the scope, most adjusted years ago. My question is how does scope adjustment seem to hold up on your springers?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The double recoil of a spring powered air gun is hell on conventional scopes. Switch to a scope for air gun use and your problem should be solved.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had an RWS 48 for a million years seems like and it ate EVERY scope I hung on it including my high dollar Leupolds...some of those "22 rimfire scopes" lasted ONE shot before making tinkling noises inside the scope. I FINALLY listened to those that knew and kept telling me to "BUY A SCOPE DESIGNED FOR BREAK ACTION AIR RIFLES"...I can be VERY hard headed sometimes.

I ended up buying a Bushnell Banner variable, advertised and DESIGNED for break action air rifles...it's been on that 48 for 20-umpteen years until recently when it went on a Hatsan BullBoss for interim use...it also got swapped out onto several powder guns whenever those scopes went south before getting replaced. I SILL buy Banners as backups when I get cheap and go for those "50 dollar" online Pinty's and CVlifes...just to be safe.

I've gone to PCP air rifles and don't use my springers much anymore so they have lost their scopes to other air/powder rifles. I can get ham fisted with PCP's and powder rifles and still get halfway decent groups, but when I REALLY start going south with groups/hunting misses I go back to my 48 springer for a "learn-up, stupid homer"...to "get a grip" so to speak. lol

Lots of good information on Pyramyd, A.G.D. and online on which scopes survive the "springer shuffle" with todays crop of "other worldly scopes".

Good Luck tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nopride--This Leupold scope is designed for spring air guns.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had that problem a few times in the past

If the mounting is solid the problem is in the scope.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even the best scope go belly up...

When my groups start going south for no reason seemingly I start at the beginning checking all mounting points, swap in another scope to verify groups, check ammo in another rifle to verify groups, check to see if something has broken OR loosened in the rifle AND scope and install the scope on another rifle to again verify all is well or to expose a problem.

It doesn't take much movement in a scope to change POI...0.005" will move POI 1" at 100 yds which translates to ≈0.001" and 1/4" at 25 yds...0.020" is very hard to find but can cause a 1" miss at 25 yds. I was having problems early on with my 48 so I bedded the action in epoxy and removed the quasi M.B. and of course checked my hold and trigger work. As long as I do my part it will do 1/2" at 50 yd consistently winter or summer with 10.5 JSB's and Crosman Premiers.

Minor problems can make you crazy when they mess up your chi and can be masked and overlooked when you start looking in the wrong place or diagnose the wrong problem.

In the old days every time a car started running rough the out came the screw driver and the first thing that was messed with was the carb... and it was usually the last thing that went south. I made a lot of money sorting out electrical, distributor and/or vacuum problems and RE-CALIBRATING carbs that fiddlers messed with.

I might be some thing simple like the M.B. loosened or the barrel/stock contact changed or the receiver screw loosened slightly or moisture swelled the stock OR?????...all these can happen and they are hard to diagnose...or ?????

Good Luck