Find
Notify
Tools

Talon SS REVIEW
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
Well, I got my new Airforce Talon SS a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to chrony it yesterday. filled tank to 3000 psi, set power wheel on 8 and was duly impressed. speed went from 875 down to 850 over 40 shoots, at which point i guit testing and just shoot for fun. got another 20 shots before velocity dropped enough to change trajectory slightly.. 5 shot groups were essentially all in 1 hole!!!(3/8 inch at most, all touching). this was at 25 yds. at 50 yds, about 1/2 inch group using the first mil-dot. i made a set of internal baffels using $7.50 worth of hardware store parts and plans found on line and it took the noise way down. before that, it was about the same noise level as my Ben. NP XL. now it is much quieter than the Benji. for comparison my NP XL chronies at about the same power level-i.e. 850-60 fps. using the same pellets. other than far superior accuracy, however,( and the Benji shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 25 yds) the neatest thing about talon is there is literally NO recoil!! it is spooky smooth and quiet to shoot. i am filling it off a scuba tank and since i can get 60 plus shoots per fill of the gun tank and looks like at least 5-6(probably more) gunfills off the scuba tank. trips to the dive shop will be infrequent. another added benefit is that even scoped and ready to shoot, this thing still only weighs about 7 lbs compared to 10 for the NP XL. I must say this gun is IMPRESSIVE.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting a great rifle and as I remember at a great price too. tu2

Once my buddy Ralph sees this, it might just be enough to push him "over the edge" Wink and into a PCP. He has really been wound up about them in the past and this may just unglue his billfold.

7# is really nice for toting in the woods.

Is that the scope that comes from Air Force?

What kind of Pellets?

When you mention making Internal Baffels, are you talking about building a Silencer for the rifle?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the scope is a Centerpoint 4-16x40 AO with illuminated reticle, MIL-DOT, high rings that mounted directly on the gun's carrying handle, pop up scope covers, etc. Bought it on Ebay for $87 including delivery from Hong Kong. no import duty and I received it 8 days after it was mailed. the dealer i bought it from also sells tactical flashlights, other scope brands, rings, bases and all manner of paramilitary gear at BARGAIN prices. I use Crossman 14.3 gr domed premiers in all my rifles and they all seem to love them. the answer to your last question is yes but it is not a detachable silencer and is thus legal. the talon ss has a barrel shroud that is part of the frame and extends about 6 in. past the muzzle. you simply fill that space with some sort of sound deadening material and voila. it was actually very quiet without modification but now it is even more so. of the several methods found on www.talonairgun.com, i went with the version that uses steel springs, o rings and flat washers. parts cost less than $8 and it took about 10 minutes to put things in place. i think my springer days are numbered

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as an aside, this is not the original rifle package i intended to buy. that deal fell through( looong story). this is a new rifle bought from Pyramyd Air with the scuba adapter included. the scope was bought on line and amazingly enough, the cheapest scuba tank was found locally at a dive shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info. Ralph and I are both finding the Crosman Premiers to shoot great for us too.

I told Ralph about the excellent accuracy you are getting and how quiet you had it by adding the Internal Silencer pieces. Now he is all wound up.

He is in Florida and has seen Scuba Tanks at Pawn Shops at reasonable prices. He would be leaning toward - either - a Large Tank from a Welding Supply Shop for home use and a Scuba Tank to carry with him - or - two Scuba Tanks so that a full one is always on hand.

He is very interested in the 10-shot Rotary Magazine on the Benjamin Marauder, but the Accuracy you got has him trying to decide which he would prefer the most, multi-shot with good accuracy, or single-shot with great accuracy. And he likes the looks of the Air Force rifles REALLLLLY well. Big Grin
-----

Oh yes, tell us about the "Trigger". Is it adjustable? Did you need to change it? Any creep or drag?

I'd think it has to be an excellent Trigger to be able to shoot so well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
trigger is non-adjustable and frankly doesn't need any work anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is great. It is a shame that every rifle does not come with a good trigger.

Best of luck with the Talon. Now I'll be looking forward to some Hunting Reports. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of the PCP!

good fun 'ea

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
AND A DAMN FINE WORLD IT IS!!!!! until i had experienced the magic of 1 hole groups at 25 yds, no recoil, 850-60 fps, and minimal noise, i would not have believed it possible. as Mikey said- try it, you'll like it!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, after 6 weeks with this thing, i have had to quit shooting ground squirrels and rabbits around my ranch- i have just about killed all of them and if i don't stop, there will be no breeding stock for next spring!!. sparrows, starlings and crows are another matter, thank God. i have bought an 18 inch barrel and slip in silencer- i mean lead dust collector- from www.talontunes.com for it and they are in transit. i just wanted more power( about 100fps more) and mouse fart noise level. the noise level now with my home made baffels is only slightly above mouse fart with the 12 inch barrel. i have an offer in on another forum for a "shoebox compressor" to fill either the gun tank directly or my scuba tank if i have more time. as an aside, google shoebox compressor. these little machines are amazing( pump up to 4500psi) trouble free if kept properly lubed, small and best of all-CHEAP, especially compared to regular 4500psi compressors. about $450 compared to $3500!. no more trips to the dive shop. i have been bitten bad by the PCP bug and have about decided to sell my Benji NP XL and RWS 36. if anyone wants 2 nice springers, make me an offer!!!!. will post more results when the new barrel and LDC are installed next week.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my offer on the shoebox compressor was accepted, so bye-bye dive shop and hello to more pellets down range. i am shooting about 500 a month, so more orders will be going out. PYRAMYD AIR gives the fourth tin free when you order 4 total.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JDollar, I mentioned your latest posts to my buddy Ralph and we both enjoyed your "almost wiping them all out". Big Grin

Specifically wanted to say Thank You for the scoop about the Shoebox Compressor. Ralph is rebuilding Racing Engines right now, but that seriously caught his attention.

Once you get it, let us know how long it takes for the Compressor to recharge the Tank from say 2500psi to 3000psi. Or do you anticipate letting the Tank drop below 2500psi?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talons aren't too subject to rust, so that little compressor should be OK as long as you have the patience.
But with no water filters I wouldn't advise using one for any guns with a large amount of steel in them.
You can buy small filters but they are pretty useless at the pressure we use.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey JDollar, I mentioned your latest posts to my buddy Ralph and we both enjoyed your "almost wiping them all out". Big Grin

Specifically wanted to say Thank You for the scoop about the Shoebox Compressor. Ralph is rebuilding Racing Engines right now, but that seriously caught his attention.

Once you get it, let us know how long it takes for the Compressor to recharge the Tank from say 2500psi to 3000psi. Or do you anticipate letting the Tank drop below 2500psi?
the Talon guntank will fill from 2500 to 3000psi in 30 or so minutes. i am going to sell my scuba tank and buy a 4500psi scba( firemen's) tank. 66 cubic feet and should fill my Talon gun tank 25-30 times(about 1000-1250 shots) before the tank pressure drops below 2400 and needs a refill.. used tanks like this on ebay are about $150 shipped. i bought a cheap water/oil filter to attach to the inlet line from my shop compressor to clean up the air into the shoebox. from what i read, the shoebox should take 5-6 hours to take a tank this size from 2400-2500psi to 4500psi but the good thing about it is you don't have to sit around watching it. just turn it on and when tank pressure reaches 4500psi, it has a sensor that shuts it off!! the only problem that users have noticed is the need to lubricate the piston shafts about every 4 hours to prevent piston overheating and o-ring failure. so filling the scba tank requires a piston shaft lube sometime during the fill- takes less than 2 minutes. when you read the reports on www.automags.org and several other airgun/paintball forums, you realize this little device is amazing!!!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the shoebox uses a shop compressor to feed it 85-90 psi air. this feed isn't absolutely necessary but it decreases fill times by a factor of six. since most everyone has a small shop compressor( or you can easily buy one for about $70) it is easy to put a cheap water/oil filter in the low pressure feed line. then all air inputted in and therefore outputted from the shoebox is dry and clean. simple solution for a simple machine. biggest problem with the shoebox now is the guy making them is doing it as a small business/ sideline and the waiting list is months long. i got lucky and found a new one from a guy that had just got it, never used it, developed health problems and needed money. his loss is my gain!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Filtering the input or the first stage won't remove enough moisture.
I just won this argument with a guy who built a similar device, unfortunately it resulted in me having to dismantle a Gorgeous old Daystate Huntsman with a torch, hacksaw, large hammer and a bucket full of penetrating oil.
Not a pretty sight inside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JDollar, You have a PM from me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys were talking about the Centerpoint 4x16 scope with flip up covers, I own 4 of them, they are great scopes. I have used them on centerfire rifles also. I just wanted to give you a link for them in case you were interested.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cent...x40mm-Scope/10248654

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
used my new shoebox compressor yesterday for the first time to fill my gun tank twice. man, i love this little gem. no more trips to the dive shop to fill my scuba tank. in fact i ordered a 4500psi scba( fireman's) tank used off of ebay and intend to sell the scuba tank. the shoebox automatically fills to 4500psi and shuts off and i will get a lot more gun fills off a 4500psi tank than i did off my 3000psi scuba tank. also bought an 18" barrel and shroud on another forum and replaced the 12' stock barrel. just as quiet as before but 100fps faster(almost 12% increase.) best of all, the accuracy with the new barrel is better than the stock 12"( and it was VERY good). 1/2 inch at 50 yds- poi essentially the same- 1/2" low at 25yds, dead on at 50yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see a picture or two of your air rifle and compressor set up. How's about sharing some with us...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote