New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gamo Whisper quiet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son gave me one for Christmas, claims to be 52% quieter. Shot it in the backyard Christmas morning and its MAYBE 52% quieter than a .308 and absolutely the loudest air rifle I've ever heard. It actually cracks!! Afraid the neighbors would call the cops to report a shooting in the neighborhood.
Son took it back to Dicks and they won't take it back since it's been fired ONCE.
Any thoughts????

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seven, I have heard this before. You can fabricate a shroud pretty easily that should help. Also consider going to the heaviest possibly pellet, in case you are near or past the speed of sound with a light one.
Go here, for more info:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/479035

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the same experience. Shot mine the first time in a closed garage. Never again without hearing protection. About on par with a .22 short subsonic at 710 fps.

So much for quiet. Roll Eyes

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess what floors me is Gamo claiming and even going so far as to name it "whisper Quiet". Clearly a sales pitch only.
I'm going to try and take it back. What are the chances of them refunding his money?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seve, my guess is you would have better luck talking directly to GAMOUSA.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Gamo makes more outlandish/ridiclous claims/promises concerning their rifles than an incumbent politician running for re-election. that said, use the heaviest pellet that is accurate, as mentioned above. at least you won't get the supersonic crack associated with the worthless light alloy pellets. all magnum springers are "loud".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this , used one as bird tech for a company.
if I shot regular Crossman pellets it was semi Quiet But use high performance pellet it was as load as a 22 for sure

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I hear that. Somebody at the range had one and I could actually hear the crack over my hearing protectors.

That said, I picked up a new Stoeger X20S last year and have found it to be pretty tame in the neighborhood. It's also "suppressed" to keep things down. It's not the highest velocity out there (1250fps), but certainly something you can shoot in populated areas. I shoot mine in the basement without issue.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had the same issue with Whispers we sold last year. GAMO said it is likely due to dieseling of oil in the barrel and expansion chamber. They indicated it can take 200 rounds or more to work it out. Haven't gotten any further feedback from customers so I can't vouch if accurate.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Purchased one years ago to thin the starling population around the house. Nothing quiet about them. A joke really. Went back to whatever is leaning by the door.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"due to dieseling of oil in the barrel and expansion chamber"

ive had this happen with two different rifles. just keep shooting it with heavy pellets. and clean it often. also, you'l never see the real accuracy of that rifle until it's "broken in" i always thought it was normal with new air rifles.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have never thought a pellet gun would "crack" but it indeed does. I guess it makes sense because it's breaking the sound barrier. It's as loud as any .22 I;ve shot. I guess what floors me is their gall to call this a "whisper quiet". I believe it says 52% quieter, I say horse shit!

one of us
posted Hide Post
give it 500 good heavy pellets and then see how you like it. it will settle down

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote